Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Drain Plug Stripped

Old 11-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Drain Plug Stripped

i recently did an oil change on a relatives vehicle (2003 Civic), they have always had the oil changed at a "jizzy lube" or an equivalent of that,

so its no surprise i found what i did,

when i loosened the drain plug it felt like normal torque, however i was unable to loosen the bolt with my fingers, i had to use my wrench almost the entire way (maybe 75% of the way)

same goes for tightening the bolt, i could only screw it in about 25% of the way with my fingers, after that i had to use my wrench the rest of the way,

this would indicate to me thread damage,

i managed to torque the bolt fine, but it seems like its just a matter of time before its completely stripped,

i inspected the drain plug closely, even used a magnifying glass and it looked fine, so i think its safe to assume the damage is in the oil pan,

my question is......

is there any way to repair this damage now, before the inevitable happens and the threads are completely stripped?
Old 11-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: Drain Plug Stripped

I'd probably find out the thread and run a tap through it, carefully of course. Then add some oil to get any metal shavings flushed out.
Old 11-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oversized plug when it strips all the way out?

Aluminum pan, is there enough room for a Time-Sert install?

Use a rubber coated plug washer so it doesn't have to be torqued to 33 ft-lb?? A good one will seal at very low torque, just enough to squash the rubber. ...and can be reused many many times
I really like these:

After it's really stripped out good you can go to these:

Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
After it's really stripped out good you can go to these:

i realize there are options like this,

we used these all the time when i worked at jizzy

i was hoping to repair it before it gets to that point,

i was also thinking about installing one of those permanent drain plugs that you never have to remove, it just turns like a tap to drain the oil,

can't remember or find the link/webpage right now
Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
thetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of light

http://fumotousa.com/?gclid=CI6ziIrpkskCFUyAaQod120Cog
Old 11-15-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I'm always scared of anything catching the lever and opening the valve.
Snowdrift/ice, tree branches, anything that gets ran over
Old 11-15-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Ezone... do you rally drive/off road your car?
Old 11-15-2015

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Ezone... do you rally drive/off road your car?
No, that's just in my driveway.
Out on the street I like to run over small children.

I can get a 5 foot snow drift in front of my garage door if the wind blows just wrong, and I've got 3 old oak trees out front (and some others) that occasionally drop big chunks of limbs when the winds howl. The rest of the time they constantly drop small branches. Every day there could be a surprise waiting in the driveway when I try to leave or come home LOL
Old 11-15-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...the plug or the pan? I'm guessing since you have 75rep that you mean the pan.

I would try a new plug first $5, then if that does not work re-thread the pan if there is to much damage to re-tap the pan.
Old 11-16-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
...the plug or the pan?

did you ever read anything i wrote?

or just the title?

Old 11-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
thetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of light

Man, I'm always scared of anything catching the lever and opening the valve.
That's what this part is for: http://fumotousa.com/parts.php?partnumber=96
Old 11-16-2015

^Oh that's cool.
Old 11-16-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikey1
did you ever read anything i wrote?

or just the title?

Sorry Mikey I was probably skimming the last half of the post and didn't see "pan", just thought you were still talking about the plug, my bad.
Old 12-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bsmiley
I'd probably find out the thread and run a tap through it, carefully of course. Then add some oil to get any metal shavings flushed out.
i might try this next time, anybody know off hand what size tap?
Old 12-09-2015

14x1.5
The following users liked this post:
Old Faithful (10-11-2021)