Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vital fluids

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M00n3at3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Vital fluids

So I'm not sure if this has ever been addressed before, but I'm curious about all of the vital fluids for our cars. With mine, I typically run OEM coolant and transmission fluid, but outside of that, I just use the generic stuff, but the time has come to flush my power steering fluid and I'm curious if PS fluid is one of those things Hondas are really particular about? What is everyone's experience with the different systems and running different non-maker products?

Thanks guys!!
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all
Re: Vital fluids

I am sure their are several threads for each type of fluid you mentioned. I would start searching.
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

YES power steering is a special Honda formula.

Use only Honda fluid or it will foam way too much.
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Can you flush it with off brand and the drain and refill with Honda? I was going to pull the outlet hose and jus run t generic through the system and dra that out an put in clean Honda flu.
Old 11-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You want to cheap out over what, maybe a quart of fluid??
Just use the correct fluid and you can be glad you didn't ruin anything $$$$ by doing so.

You'd probably be surprised how much stuff I almost never see problems with on cars serviced exclusively by us (at my dealer), then when we do see unusual problems they frequently seem to come on cars that are serviced elsewhere.
Guess who doesn't use factory approved fluids.......
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

I don't really have a problem running oem stuff, I just have a couple bottles of generic which is why I asked about the flush. The original engine has gone up and I have a new one in, and now my aim has shifted from mods to improvements. I'm not going to get much for it on trade in so until the wheels fall off, I want it to be a wonderful daily, as clean as the day it was bought. So with that said, how much fluid does the system take?
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i would use OEM honda fluids on everything, except engine oil
Old 11-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M00n3at3r
I just have a couple bottles of generic which is why I asked about
These systems hate ATF and other fluids that work in other brands.
That's why I mentioned seeing unusual problems in cars that aren't serviced at the dealer.

So with that said, how much fluid does the system take?
PS in general usually seems to hold about 2 pints (one quart), give or take a little.

I'd think
Jack up front wheels off the ground

drain the system, wash out the reservoir if you want to,
run (extend) the return hose out to a bucket,
plug the return nipple on the reservoir
fill up the reservoir,

Start engine and quickly steer from lock to lock until the reservoir is empty and steering feel changes a lot (this purges fluid from the rack), shut off engine.

refill reservoir and repeat

repeat as much as you feel necessary

reassemble hoses and refill system and bleed and top off.

I think we are usually allowed 4 pints at work to do the entire thing start to finish. I think we should be allowed more like 6 or more, it ends up looking cleaner.

I've been known to use an air blowgun to purge the rack if I have the pressure hose off of the pump for some reason.

HTH
Old 11-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
These systems hate ATF and other fluids that work in other brands.
That's why I mentioned seeing unusual problems in cars that aren't serviced at the dealer.

PS in general usually seems to hold about 2 pints (one quart), give or take a little.

I'd think
Jack up front wheels off the ground

drain the system, wash out the reservoir if you want to,
run (extend) the return hose out to a bucket,
plug the return nipple on the reservoir
fill up the reservoir,

Start engine and quickly steer from lock to lock until the reservoir is empty and steering feel changes a lot (this purges fluid from the rack), shut off engine.

refill reservoir and repeat

repeat as much as you feel necessary

reassemble hoses and refill system and bleed and top off.

I think we are usually allowed 4 pints at work to do the entire thing start to finish. I think we should be allowed more like 6 or more, it ends up looking cleaner.

I've been known to use an air blowgun to purge the rack if I have the pressure hose off of the pump for some reason.

HTH
Was able to drain and replace with just under 2 pints (24 FL oz) and it looks better. May swing for another bottle or two though just for the satisfaction.