Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic20042009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating Issues

Hello,

Our 2004 Civic EX with 190K miles has been overheating. My wife told me the temp gauge had been occasionally rising above normal, sometimes to the H and sometimes between half way and to the H. It typically didn't remain above the normal operating range for very long and would drop back down. I found that it had a bad fan so I replaced it. After that she said it wasn't overheating anymore.

A few months later I was driving the car and the temp gauge shot up and fluid was shooting out and blowing back on the windshield. After letting it cool I couldn't get more than a couple miles before needing to pull over again. I changed the thermostat on the side of the road and found a small leak in the front of the radiator near the fill cap. At this point I was able to drive it home without the temp rising at all above normal.

Next, changed the radiator, new cap, new fluid, bled system. I've been driving the car for the past 2-3 weeks with no issues - one eye on the road and one eye on the temp gauge. Driving in traffic, sitting at red lights, about 30 minutes each way to/from work, no issues.

Last night the temp gauge started rising again. I popped the hood and saw what seemed to be a lot of fluid that leaked from the overflow reservoir. Now the temp is rising consistently again. If I drive about 50-60 mph it seems to fall back down; otherwise, it's hitting the H. I haven't added new fluid since the overflow last night because I thought it may have been purging excess fluid (I filled it a bit high when replacing the radiator).

Based on what I've read in the Sticky and in other forums, it's really starting to seem like a bad head gasket. I haven't done a pressure test or the combustion gas test yet, but read that they aren't always reliable.
Are these my next steps? Or should I jump right to the cylinder compression test? Any other recommendations or thoughts?

Thank you!

UPDATE:
I just drove home from work (About 30min/20miles) and had absolutely no problems with the temp rising. Not sure what's going on...

Last edited by Civic20042009; 11-12-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Overheating Issues

Originally Posted by Civic20042009
Last night the temp gauge started rising again. I popped the hood and saw what seemed to be a lot of fluid that leaked from the overflow reservoir.

this is the number one symptom of a blown head gasket,

very common on these engines,

you are not alone,

Not sure what's going on...
i am.......read above

Old 11-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^I second the motion.

If you get no results with the blue fluid check (or whatever color it is) then skip ahead to my method of proving the breach. It's in the first post of the overheating sticky.

Last edited by ezone; 11-13-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2015
Zed
Registered!!

Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

Just skip to the part where you stop fooling yourself and change the headgasket. It's a hard pill to swallow, I almost choked when I had to face mine. Just get it over with.
Old 11-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

get one of these & jack the car up when you add coolant
Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive

how long you had the car? and did you ever change the HG?
Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

Civic20042009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the replies. For the past year we've been talking about getting a new car. We have a 7 month old so the 2-door is somewhat of a pain. Maybe now is the time instead of dumping more money into this car...

I bought one of those funnels when I changed the radiator. Works great!
My wife bought the car new in 2004. I've never changed a head gasket and I haven't started with this one yet. I'm still debating on what to do at this point with the car. I believe it's only worth a couple grand, according to KBB. I figure a head gasket will be around a few hundred bucks and a boat load of time.
Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe $500 with timing belt & machine shop work plus your labor
Old 11-16-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
maybe $500 with timing belt & machine shop work plus your labor
+1. That's a solid estimate.