Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head Gasket kit -Felpro Good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Head Gasket kit -Felpro Good?

03 civic 1.7 2dr auto ex
Hi, so I see everyone loves the OEM gaskets. I just want to save time & money. Yet I want it to last too!

Can you please give me your opinion on Felpro and the other good kits.

Thanks, in advance
Old 11-11-2015
Zed
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Head Gasket kit -Felpro Good?

I wouldn't expect others to respond overwhelmingly to your post. As you yourself have noted, we all love the OEM head gaskets. There is a reason for that. If you want to throw a wealth of experience and information under the bus, pick your choice of headgasket and give your review when it eventually fails.

Otherwise, I'd also suggest sticking to the OEM Headgasket.
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

Thank you for the reply!! I have been using Felpro gaskets since the 70's. I thought they were the best. Thats my reason to ask if they are a "Good" choice.
Im sure someone here would have used them too.

** Does Honda even make their own gaskets?
Old 11-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
** Does Honda even make their own gaskets?
In the parts catalog, the head gasket name is "NIPPON LEAKLESS"
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
thanks!

I guess I really need the kit: 06110-PLD-010

2003 ex 1.7 2 dr auto

Last edited by alex_nyc; 11-13-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

it saves money??

2003 ex 1.7 2 dr auto
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I have never had issues with fuel pro gaskets, I've used them on a couple turbo cars with high boost and never had them leak.
Old 11-13-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

it saves money??

2003 ex 1.7 2 dr auto
The kit from Honda comes with valve stem seals. If you don't need a valve job, then it may be a lot cheaper to piece together the individual gaskets and whatnot that you actually take apart.

I thought for sure someone made a list of all the individual gaskets in a DIY here somewhere, take a search?
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Any idea why the HG seem to fail on the 1.7L engines? Was the gasket substituted for a different part later the in the lifecycle or is it the a design of the block or head?

Since this forum experiences so many failure reports, I'd probably buy the felpro gasket myself.
Old 11-13-2015

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Any idea why the HG seem to fail on the 1.7L engines? Was the gasket substituted for a different part later the in the lifecycle or is it the a design of the block or head?
I've said this before, I think it's because the engineers didn't spec TTY type head bolts.
If anyone would make them to fit this engine and sell them, I think they could have had a small gold mine if they had started about 10 years earlier than now LOL

Yes, based on the part number there have been a few revisions to the head gasket over the years.
Old 11-14-2015
Registered!!

The kit from Honda comes with valve stem seals. If you don't need a valve job, then it may be a lot cheaper to piece together the individual gaskets and whatnot that you actually take apart.

I thought for sure someone made a list of all the individual gaskets in a DIY here somewhere, take a search?
yes i saw the parts list. I didnt do the math on the seals, I just thought it would be cheaper in a kit ??
Old 11-16-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Hondapartsnow.com

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/2003-ho...4at-parts.html

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...vtec,2151670,5

Hard to beat their prices
Old 01-13-2016
Registered!!

Niaboc67 is an unknown quantity at this point

03 civic 1.7 2dr auto ex
Hi, so I see everyone loves the OEM gaskets. I just want to save time & money. Yet I want it to last too!

Can you please give me your opinion on Felpro and the other good kits.

Thanks, in advance
Hey just wondering, how did all this turn out? Did you end up getting the felpro or the OEM gasket? I am in the same situation.
Old 01-14-2016
Registered!!

Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Niaboc67
Hey just wondering, how did all this turn out? Did you end up getting the felpro or the OEM gasket? I am in the same situation.
I just went through this. I used Felpro two years ago. Mine lasted almost exactly two years and I just had to do it again. Was it because Felpro aren't the best... I don't know. I don't know why it failed again. I used OEM this time. I will let the board know how it turns out.
Old 01-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Scout1
I just went through this. I used Felpro two years ago. Mine lasted almost exactly two years and I just had to do it again. Was it because Felpro aren't the best... I don't know. I don't know why it failed again. I used OEM this time. I will let the board know how it turns out.
I wish a person who designs head gaskets would explain some things to me. I don't understand the MLS type gaskets. Each layer of metal seems to me to be a potential leak between layers. Also I would like to see a head gasket that was a little thicker with an extra layer of some kind of coating that could withstand the heat and pressures involved. Also that coating could help seal minor imperfections and slight warpage in the mating surfaces. Now you have to have the head and the block perfectly flat and level. I wonder if they could make either a solid copper or aluminum gasket that would be a type of "crush gasket" that would seal minor problem areas. I know electrolysis may be an issue but there should be a better way.

Ed
Old 01-14-2016
Registered!!

I wish a person who designs head gaskets would explain some things to me. I don't understand the MLS type gaskets. Each layer of metal seems to me to be a potential leak between layers. Also I would like to see a head gasket that was a little thicker with an extra layer of some kind of coating that could withstand the heat and pressures involved. Also that coating could help seal minor imperfections and slight warpage in the mating surfaces. Now you have to have the head and the block perfectly flat and level. I wonder if they could make either a solid copper or aluminum gasket that would be a type of "crush gasket" that would seal minor problem areas. I know electrolysis may be an issue but there should be a better way.

Ed
From what I've read the graphite gaskets which they use on Acuras are way better at sealing the cylinder head to the block. Poor engineering on the part of Honda it looks like. I was wondering, you've replaced it for the second time now? but this time with the OEM part. Aren't you taking the risk of having it blow a third time since the original one that blew I would guess was the OEM hg?

Last edited by Niaboc67; 01-14-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2016

Ed
It's been discussed, if not here then other places. Welcome to todays technology. Maybe even old tech, steel head gaskets have been in use for decades.

The composite head gasket design has several weaknesses, and the MLS improves upon those.
It's stronger, more robust and reliable, but less forgiving at the same time.
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

From what I've read the graphite gaskets which they use on Acuras are way better at sealing the cylinder head to the block. Poor engineering on the part of Honda it looks like. I was wondering, you've replaced it for the second time now? but this time with the OEM part. Aren't you taking the risk of having it blow a third time since the original one that blew I would guess was the OEM hg?

The first time I had the failure was I bought it that way from the previous owner. Shame on me for not checking it out better. I must be an idiot because I will not sell something to someone that I know has a problem or I will tell them and subtract what I think it would take to fix it. Anyway I don't know what he may have done to possibly cause the head gasket failure. When I repaired it I used Felpro because I thought they were good quality. It lasted two years. This time I went with the majority of posters on this board that recommended using OEM gaskets. I think there is an issue somewhere in the design of the block and head that causes this due to the amounts of failures I have read about on the net.The debate has be gone over and over so I don't want to start that up again. Every make of car seems to have some sort of weak spot or common problems. Ford Taurus-transmission, Explorer- transmission and front brake caliper bolts, Chevy 5.7- intake gaskets, Honda Civic 2001-2004- transmission. I have had them all, LOL. Anyway I fixed the dryer.
Old 01-15-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Aren't you taking the risk of having it blow a third time since the original one that blew I would guess was the OEM hg?
i changed mine after it leaked at about 98k miles.

not a bad number, since it lasted for 9 years. better than the reported 2 years, albeit there were nicks in scout1's gasket.

take your poison. It's one data point. but do own whatever happens
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

The first time I had the failure was I bought it that way from the previous owner. Shame on me for not checking it out better. I must be an idiot because I will not sell something to someone that I know has a problem or I will tell them and subtract what I think it would take to fix it. Anyway I don't know what he may have done to possibly cause the head gasket failure. When I repaired it I used Felpro because I thought they were good quality. It lasted two years. This time I went with the majority of posters on this board that recommended using OEM gaskets. I think there is an issue somewhere in the design of the block and head that causes this due to the amounts of failures I have read about on the net.The debate has be gone over and over so I don't want to start that up again. Every make of car seems to have some sort of weak spot or common problems. Ford Taurus-transmission, Explorer- transmission and front brake caliper bolts, Chevy 5.7- intake gaskets, Honda Civic 2001-2004- transmission. I have had them all, LOL. Anyway I fixed the dryer.

What's great is that the civic's have such EXPENSIVE and INTENSIVE problems
. If you want to fix the hg or trans it's going to be so damn involved or cost you a great deal of money. These cars are so common on blowing their heads that the previous owner maybe didn't do anything to it. It seems like once these cars get to a certain mileage, like about 100k the heads just give out. I have a similar story to yours. I bought my civic used not knowing the history of these cars. And it began overheating. Got a deal on the car so I decided to keep it on the premise that I might be able to fix it. Probably both had their OEM gaskets in there. From what I read it sounds like the OEM gaskets on the honda website have been altered/improved which indicates that honda knows that they did something wrong originally.
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

What's great is that the civic's have such EXPENSIVE and INTENSIVE problems
. If you want to fix the hg or trans it's going to be so damn involved or cost you a great deal of money. These cars are so common on blowing their heads that the previous owner maybe didn't do anything to it. It seems like once these cars get to a certain mileage, like about 100k the heads just give out. I have a similar story to yours. I bought my civic used not knowing the history of these cars. And it began overheating. Got a deal on the car so I decided to keep it on the premise that I might be able to fix it. Probably both had their OEM gaskets in there. From what I read it sounds like the OEM gaskets on the honda website have been altered/improved which indicates that honda knows that they did something wrong originally.

The good thing is that at 110 k and the head gasket or trans goes if the car is in pretty good shape otherwise and especially if you can do the work yourself, for $1000.00 or less you can have a car that should get you another 100,000 miles. If I had to do a head gasket job the Civic is not to bad if you take your time.
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

The good thing is that at 110 k and the head gasket or trans goes if the car is in pretty good shape otherwise and especially if you can do the work yourself, for $1000.00 or less you can have a car that should get you another 100,000 miles. If I had to do a head gasket job the Civic is not to bad if you take your time.
My car is in great shape other than the head gasket. That's the part which is a damn shame. These cars would be perfect if not for the obvious flaw in the design of their gasket and head bolts and apparent trans issue. How long did the job take the first time around and then the second time around? What was the teardown like? what did you have to disassemble and take apart in order to get the cylinder head off & head gasket off? Cause I've read different reports of what needs to be disassembled and taken off to get to it.
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

Can't go by how long it takes me. I get it done but I am slow. Good experienced wrenches could do it in a weekend I am sure. Plenty of how to's on here and youtube. Not bad but it has a a lot of steps.
Old 01-15-2016

Good experienced wrenches could do it in a weekend I am sure.
I'd starve to death if I spent that much time on it LOL
Old 06-16-2019
Registered!!

Julz.vanj is an unknown quantity at this point

With in the past month i have done 4 head gasket replacements two with felpro and not feeling so confident in it. It could probably just be me too, still new at this area, but after the first two gaskets it has taken me less and less time. Just last night it took me only 30 mins to pull the gasket out and find it completly destroyed on the first cylinder. I dknt want to go felpro again but i might just have to..
Old 06-16-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Warped head/damaged sleeve will give a gap that leads to very premature head gasket failure.
Old 06-16-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Buy the proper OEM one after you get your head checked by a machine shop
Old 06-16-2019
Registered!!

Julz.vanj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
Buy the proper OEM one after you get your head checked by a machine shop
Yes i plan to go to a machine shop first before i put another gasket in.