Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

turn signal harness ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meicalnissyen has a spectacular aura aboutmeicalnissyen has a spectacular aura about
turn signal harness ?

Greetings

1rst post here

I have a sick speed3 that I've turned into a self inflicted nightmare. and I picked up a second car for reliable transportation
Low and behold, it turns out to be a 2001 civic EX coupe 5spd with 207K

Started reading a good bit here, most issues on my car were common, LCA, radio code, alternator, struts all easy to correct with the DIY section here. THANKS!!

but, I have a fast flash right signal, its the front thats out, I get a pair of 7443's at wally and discover that you have to pull the fender liner out to get to it........wtf? (great jack points on the car, guess there is give and take)

So I find nothing in the headlight shell sockets, and these 2 harness plugs laying in the general area. neither of which accept a 7443. SO, hopefully I find I can post a pic with this, and someone can point out the obvious

Thanks in advance

Oh, the rear speakers are silent, not an issue to me, but Is this common/easy to fix?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_193849.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	88090  
Old 09-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: turn signal harness ?

Pic is just wire connectors....they probably need to connect to bulb sockets in the headlight housing.
Old 09-17-2015
Registered!!

meicalnissyen has a spectacular aura aboutmeicalnissyen has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
Pic is just wire connectors....they probably need to connect to bulb sockets in the headlight housing.
Thanks

I take it then that on a honda the wire harness does not terminate directly to the lamp socket, but instead to a connector which plugs into the lamp socket.

interesting. I would have checked the working side to see what the correct layout is, but didn't want to rip another innocent fenderliner out of position to check

So off to a junkyard I go
Old 09-17-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I take it then that on a honda the wire harness does not terminate directly to the lamp socket, but instead to a connector which plugs into the lamp socket.
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes there is a short harness on a lens assembly instead.

#6 and 7 are your bulb sockets here:

HTH
Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

EXACTLY

how do I "thank" a post on this forum (found it)

that is very helpful

I wonder if they are laying down in a dark corner, or just plain missing.

I have to admit that I did a fairly cursory inspection before purchase

Last edited by meicalnissyen; 09-18-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The highly under-used reputation button is the only way (this thing: ), other than the obvious "thanks" that you've implied in your post. Click it on whichever post you wish to acknowledge, select "I approve" and type in whatever message you wish to send to the poster.

The pulling of the fender back is a bit of a pain, but it's manageable. Another option would be to remove the front bumper and affected headlight (I have that process down to about 5 minutes for removal) and do it that way. I only use that method if I'm actually tinkering with the headlight like I tend to do. There is a part number difference just differently shaped (weird, I know). I can't quite recall at the moment, but ezone may be able to shed light on that. I just remember waaaaay back when companies started releasing aftermarket headlights, users here mentioned something about needing one or the other socket in order to have properly fitting bulb sockets. Weird thing was, though, they use the same bulb and connect to the same pigtail connector. If they're the same per ezone, disregard that tidbit.

As for your speakers, see if they've simply become disconnected. Pop the trunk, look at the grey (?) connectors going into the speakers. That'd be the easiest check. If they're properly inserted, you'll probably have to remove the radio unit. That involves removing the center console -- all of 4 screws and 2 pop clips, the small panel with the cigarette lighter adapter which just pulls out with a bit of force, and removing the 2 bolts that hold the radio unit on. From there, you can carefully use a screwdriver or your nails to get under the bezel and pull. If you (or the previous owner) had done that often enough, applying force on the little bracket that you removed the 2 bolts from (the top one connected to the radio, not the bottom one. I'm sure you'll understand if you actually see it) will do the trick. I guess you could also dummy check the fader/balance, to see if it's set to full forward or whatnot. That, really, would be the easiest first check.

All of this, of course, is assuming you have a stock audio system. Aftermarket speakers typically use spade connectors for the wire connections.
Old 09-23-2015
Registered!!

Right on
For now, I toook a 6 inch piece of 20 ga, tinned the ends and shoved em into the connector soldered the other ends to the lamp wires, and tucked it into the shell. **** it

Ill check the speakers for connection, the balance goes R-L fader goes quiet when it goes to the rear.

Think I'll pass on ripping the dash apart
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
The highly under-used reputation button is the only way (this thing: ), other than the obvious "thanks" that you've implied in your post. Click it on whichever post you wish to acknowledge, select "I approve" and type in whatever message you wish to send to the poster.

The pulling of the fender back is a bit of a pain, but it's manageable. Another option would be to remove the front bumper and affected headlight (I have that process down to about 5 minutes for removal) and do it that way. I only use that method if I'm actually tinkering with the headlight like I tend to do. There is a part number difference just differently shaped (weird, I know). I can't quite recall at the moment, but ezone may be able to shed light on that. I just remember waaaaay back when companies started releasing aftermarket headlights, users here mentioned something about needing one or the other socket in order to have properly fitting bulb sockets. Weird thing was, though, they use the same bulb and connect to the same pigtail connector. If they're the same per ezone, disregard that tidbit.

As for your speakers, see if they've simply become disconnected. Pop the trunk, look at the grey (?) connectors going into the speakers. That'd be the easiest check. If they're properly inserted, you'll probably have to remove the radio unit. That involves removing the center console -- all of 4 screws and 2 pop clips, the small panel with the cigarette lighter adapter which just pulls out with a bit of force, and removing the 2 bolts that hold the radio unit on. From there, you can carefully use a screwdriver or your nails to get under the bezel and pull. If you (or the previous owner) had done that often enough, applying force on the little bracket that you removed the 2 bolts from (the top one connected to the radio, not the bottom one. I'm sure you'll understand if you actually see it) will do the trick. I guess you could also dummy check the fader/balance, to see if it's set to full forward or whatnot. That, really, would be the easiest first check.

All of this, of course, is assuming you have a stock audio system. Aftermarket speakers typically use spade connectors for the wire connections.
Old 09-25-2015

If they're the same per ezone,
Not my area....
I know I've seen charts on headlight bulb differences and similarities though, check google images or something