Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic ex possible tranny problem

Old 09-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBrosario is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 civic ex possible tranny problem

I just bought my 2001 civic. I've asked around and have gotten alot of mixed responses. Before I actually go out and but a new trans, I'd like to get opinions from some more civic owners. When I bought the car the ONLY issue was that it wouldn't stay in 5th gear. The man that I purchased it from informed me that it may just be a bad synchro. After I bought the car, the next day, it started acting really funny. I went to back out of a parking space in the autozone parking lot (this is where it all began) and when I went to put it into first to take off it refused to move anywhere but up into fifth. When I kept it in between (thinking I'd put it in neutral) it just continued to only go into reverse. I freaked out as cars started to stop behind me and began violently shaking the shifter, thus causing it to go into neutral. I then proceeded to put it into first and it wouldn't stay in gear, just kept popping back into neutral. so I ended up taking off in 2nd gear. so I'm leaving the parking lot and heading home and I go into 3rd and that won't stay in either. At that point, I could only use 2nd and 4th gear. I found out a way to get it into 1st gear the next day. Basically, I put it down into second and then violently push it up it first and usually after the second or third try it stays in 1st (sometimes i'll get lucky and it'll work the first time). Unfortunately, this methond ONLY works with first gear. So I'm pretty much taking off in 1st, riding on 2nd until I'm at about 4500 rpms and then riding the rest of the way solely on 4th gear. I can't use 3rd or 5th, and every now and then when I use reverse it will get stuck in reverse. Someone please help!!!!
Old 09-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 civic ex possible tranny problem

Better make SURE it's not a shifter problem or a shift cable problem before you splurge on a whole transmission.