Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head gasket questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SolidHollow is an unknown quantity at this point
Head gasket questions

I bought a used 04 Civic about 2 weeks ago and the head gasket blew on me yesterday . I have been reading forums since yesterday on the issue trying to educate my self on how this can affect my engine because I ended up having to drive the car home after the fact. I wanted to give a run down of the events and the symptoms my car is having and get some more specific information if possible.

The first thing that happened was that my car began to over heat.
I popped the hood and noticed there was a little bit of coolant dripping off of my overflow tank, but there was no obvious leaks. I checked the oil and it was a perfectly normal color. At this point I figured it was just a leaky hose or an unseen crack somewhere.

I drove the car about 2 miles to the nearest store and grabbed some antifreeze. It ran very hot for about 2 minutes before I made it to the store.

I filled the radiator and drove the 15 minutes or so home. The car did not over heat at all at this point.

When I got home I checked the exhaust. No steam, color or sweet smell was detectable. I let the car cool and removed the radiator cap and had my wife rev the engine. First a steady stream of steam started rising and finally antifreeze started gushing out.

And finally today I cranked the car for about 10-15 seconds to move it onto my concrete slab to work on it and it was idling very badly. The car was shaking pretty bad from the moment I cranked it and drove it onto the slab. The shaking seemed to diminish in the moments before I put it in park.

My biggest concern is the shaking when I cranked it today. I am hoping I did not damage my engine. What kind of damage can result from the antifreeze getting into the engine? Was the 15 minute trip home enough to cause significant damage? Is the fact that there is no visible oil/antifreeze mixture a more hopeful situation? I've gathered from reading around that various failures in different parts of the gasket yields different symptoms but are some more harmful to the engine than others? Could the shaking just have been the initial burning up of the antifreeze that had pooled in the engine or is it indicative of something worse?

I have a good friend who is a seasoned mechanic coming tomorrow to remove the head for me, but any info/tips would be helpful. I want to know what sort of problem I might be looking at having to deal with. Thanks
Old 09-10-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Head gasket questions

Originally Posted by SolidHollow
I bought a used 04 Civic about 2 weeks ago and the head gasket blew on me yesterday
Hopefully you got a good deal.

I popped the hood and noticed there was a little bit of coolant dripping off of my overflow tank
That's the 7th gen Civic tell tale of a blown head gasket. All other "normal" signs don't show.

It ran very hot for about 2 minutes before I made it to the store.
you may have warped the head in that short of time span. It's an aluminum head, doesn't take long to damage it. Have a machine shop check it.
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

I bought a used 04 Civic about 2 weeks ago and the head gasket blew on me yesterday .
you probably bought it with a blown head gasket and didn't know at the time
Old 09-10-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of tips/tricks you need? There's a pretty good one in my signature for hg replacement and whatnot
Old 09-11-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

The first thing that happened was that my car began to over heat. I popped the hood and noticed there was a little bit of coolant dripping off of my overflow tank, but there was no obvious leaks. I checked the oil and it was a perfectly normal color. At this point I figured it was just a leaky hose or an unseen crack somewhere. I drove the car about 2 miles to the nearest store and grabbed some antifreeze. It ran very hot for about 2 minutes before I made it to the store.
I filled the radiator and drove the 15 minutes or so home. The car did not over heat at all at this point.
OP.. You didn't mention it in your post so I will bring it up. The first thing you should do if you car is overheating is set your interior heater to max heat and fan to max.. this will help cool the engine down. Second is to pull over ASAP and turn key to second position which will shut engine off but allow interior heater/fan to run as well as radiator fan. Third is to get it towed to home or garage.

Testing before head removal:
1) Rent (free) a Block Tester from Autozone or other major parts store with a tool loan program. You'll need to buy the testing fluid ($10) . Do it before removing head..if it's not a blown head gasket this will save you a lot of time and trouble. If it is a blown head gasket you will have plenty of fluid left over to test again after repair.
2) Do a cylinders compression test. Head gasket failure located between the pistons can cause compression loss. If the block test is positive for head gasket leak.and there is low compression in one or more cylinders.. carefully inspect the head gasket all over and especially the area between the cylinders. If those areas (between cylinders) of the head gasket look good then it's very likely any loss of compression would be a damaged piston or rings caused by overheating.
3) Check spark plugs (after removing) for coolant and/or oil.

When I got home I checked the exhaust. No steam, color or sweet smell was detectable. My biggest concern is the shaking when I cranked it today. I am hoping I did not damage my engine. What kind of damage can result from the antifreeze getting into the engine?
I've read that antifreeze can damage main bearings if a car is ran for long periods (weeks) with a blown head gasket. Probably not a concern with yours. If, you do end up replacing the head gasket expect to find at least a small amount of coolant (knowledge passed on to me by Ezone) in the oil but not enough to make it turn into a brownish, frothy milkshake.

Was the 15 minute trip home enough to cause significant damage?
Possibly? any over-heating is not good, especially with aluminum heads. May have damaged a piston or as I stated above .. possible head gasket failure located between pistons causing poor compression/poor engine performance.

Is the fact that there is no visible oil/antifreeze mixture a more hopeful situation?
With Honda's it seems like the frothy milkshake sign on the dipstick is fairly rare. A much more common sign of a blown head gasket is losing coolant in the radiator (after topping off for several days in a row) and gaining coolant in over-flow tank each day. Also continuous large bubbles in coolant while engine is running is a strong sign of HG leak.

I've gathered from reading around that various failures in different parts of the gasket yields different symptoms but are some more harmful to the engine than others? Could the shaking just have been the initial burning up of the antifreeze that had pooled in the engine or is it indicative of something worse?
Already covered above: Possible piston damage or compression leak caused by gasket

I have a good friend who is a seasoned mechanic coming tomorrow to remove the head for me, but any info/tips would be helpful. I want to know what sort of problem I might be looking at having to deal with. Thanks
Make sure to start with block test and compression test before removing head.
If block test confirms emissions breach past head gasket and you remove head be prepared to:

1) Bring cylinder head to a machine shop for:
a. milling/resurfacing to straighten
b. valve job
c new valve seals
d. cleaning and inspect for cracks

2) OEM Gasket kit that includes:
a, head gasket
b. exhaust manifold gasket
c. intake manifold gasket
d. valve cover, spark plug holes, valve cover bolts o-ring gaskets
e. cam seal gasket

If your timing belt is near replacement.. then might as well plan on doing a timing belt kit to

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-11-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If, you do end up replacing the head gasket expect to find at least a small amount of coolant (knowledge passed on to me by Ezone) in the oil but not enough to make it turn into a brownish, frothy milkshake.
Right.
The blown gasket itself doesn't normally allow coolant to enter the oil, but the act of removing the head from the block can.
Old 09-11-2015
Registered!!

SolidHollow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone who replied. I did run the heater maxed on that 2 miles stretch but to no great avail. I guess what's done is done now. I will keep these tips in mind if it happens again.

My good friend came over yesterday and pulled the head for me already. He actually specializes on Civics. He had the car in pieces and the head off within 2-3 hours. The failure was in the very center of the gasket between the 2 pistons. He said it looked like someone did a patch job on the engine without getting the head machined. All of the gaskets, seals and timing belt looked new. The head came off the block "too easily". He said that is another good indicator that it was probably patched recently. I skipped getting the gasket kit since everything was spanking new. I didn't have the extra $$$ to opt for the kit so we just grabbed a new head gasket and some copper sealant. The head is out to the shop and now I just have to wait. I paid about $50 for parts, $50 for machining and best of all he only charged me $150 for the labor (we go waay back). The local shops quoted me up to 10x what I ended up paying.

Name:  1_zps6rrizbcs.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  2_zpsbs1sxbb6.jpg
Views: 2209
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  3_zps77zw90cv.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  4_zpsmgbbuprf.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  55.3 KB
Old 09-11-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Good news!

Its good to have friends. Everyone needs a little help sometimes.
Old 09-12-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Good to hear. Really helps to have someone that knows their way around a Civic engine.

Most likely the previous owner did not bring the cylinder head to a machine shop for resurfacing during the suspected head gasket repair and/or didn't clean the block surface off well enough.
Did you or your friend check the engine block for warping with a straight edge and feeler gauges? Very unlikely that the block is warped but, you never know unless you check, You can probably get away with the old exhaust manifold gasket but, the intake manifold gasket should be replaced... you might end up with an intake leak and extra work for not installing a $10 intake gasket.
Did your friend drain the coolant out of the engine block by removing the drain bolt in the back of the engine block? Doing that combined with draining the radiator through the stopcock or removing lower radiator hose is the best way to drain the coolant.

You're only getting a resurfacing at the machine shop? Did the shop check for possible valve seating leaks or bent valves? Are the valve stem seals in good shape?
I know you stated you are trying to save money (and who isn't?) on the repair but, at the same time you don't want have to do this again prematurely due to possibly missing important steps.
I'm not trying to be a ball buster.. just trying to help you avoid possible pitfalls.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-12-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

These gaskets almost always fail between a coolant and exhaust port and almost never mix coolant and oil. I would say the bad idle was from burning coolant. Did it pop an engine light with any misfire codes? Your best bet would likely be to perform a compression test on all four cylinders to be sure the gasket has a leak. I doubt 15 minutes would have done any significant internal damage unless you were pegged into the red the whole time. If you do the gasket you're going to want to have the head checked by a machine shop regardless. Good luck!

Edit: did t see the previous 8 replies somehow, glad you got a helpful buddy!!

Last edited by MassCivic; 09-12-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

You shouldn't have driven it home. Get the head checked at a machine shop before you put it back on. it could be warped.
Old 09-12-2015

MassCivic and Mad Dog Tannen

OP's statement 21 hours ago: "The head is out to the shop and now I just have to wait. I paid about $50 for parts, $50 for machining and best of all he only charged me $150 for the labor (we go waay back). The local shops quoted me up to 10x what I ended up paying."
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

why is your coolant green?
Old 09-13-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikey1
Haha, good catch!

Because someone used the wrong kind!! It's for radiators and this car has a radiator so it is ok to put in.
Old 09-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
Because all cars have 4 wheels, therefore they are all exactly the same?
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Coolant is coolant and Parts is parts.