Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 ex Coupe A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough
2001 ex Coupe A/C issue

I bought a new compressor for my son's ex coupe. The original problem was the clutch was noisy and showed rust so I think the bearing was starting to go. I was hoping to just swap out the compressor as it was still working but it wasn't as cold as before. When I disconnected the lines I was disappointed to find the oil was silvery and had bits of gunk in it. Needless to say the compressor was in terminal mode. Now instead of a quick swap, I must completely flush the system. I am ordering a new condenser and drier. I need to know if there is an orfice tube or any other small parts to worry about?

Thanks

Ed
Old 09-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 ex Coupe A/C issue

The TXV is attached to the evaporator core in the dash..

I would open up the high side pipe (that runs from the drier to the firewall) and swab the inside to check for contamination.
You can disconnect at the filter/drier or open it at the threaded fitting near the high side service port.

If it's found to be clean then the debris stopped in or before the filter/drier, and the evaporator and TXV are probably not contaminated.

===
IF you go aftermarket compressor, most do not come with oil in them. And aftermarket quality is a crapshoot.
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone. I will check those lines like you said.
Old 09-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There's a TSB (# 09-076) on 02-04ish CRV air conditioners that covers the topic of checking for contamination and deciding what to do about it...

It may be worth a read just so you have some better idea what Honda wanted us to do in the shops.
Old 10-03-2015
Registered!!

I am very slow between getting parts, weather, and having to keep the car on the road during the week. Anyway, I completed installing everything and just started pulling a vacuum on the system. I have harbor freight gauges and I know they aren't real good but they have worked ok in the past. With both hi and low lines connected I pull a vacuum and close the valves and I have a slow leak. If I disconnect the high pressure hose and just vacuum with the low pressure hose it holds vacuum fine, no leak. I don't know if it is my gauges or if I have a leak in my high side. My question is if I just pull a vacuum using just the low side won't that also pull vacuum on the high side? I may check out another set of gauges tomorrow and see if it is my gauges.
Old 10-03-2015

My question is if I just pull a vacuum using just the low side won't that also pull vacuum on the high side?
Yes....... but it should take a lot longer if you try to vacuum the entire system through just one side.
You gonna let it suck for a good long while since the system has been open for a long time?
(I assume it's been open, not sealed up tight for a while, gotta get all the moisture to boil out under a long vacuum)

Pull your vacuum using both sides until you max out the vacuum scale... then disconnect the leaking gauge hose and cap the service port, and let it vac a bit longer, then charge through the good hose.
Old 10-03-2015
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone. I replaced everything except the hoses. I will do what you said. I still want to figure out if its my gauges. So I may check out a set from the parts store loaner program. I usually let the vacuum pump run for a couple of hours just to make sure. Just went back out and the gauges haven't moved, so I think the high side must be okay or I think it would have bled through to the low side.
Old 10-03-2015

I don't know if it is my gauges or if I have a leak in my high side.
The leak should be in your gauges, gauge hose, or connection to the car.

The only things separating the two halves of an AC system are the compressor and the expansion valve, they will eventually let pressure (or vacuum) equalize inside the system.

My question is if I just pull a vacuum using just the low side won't that also pull vacuum on the high side?
Yes....... but it should take a lot longer if you try to vacuum the entire system through just one side.
You gonna let it suck for a good long while since the system has been open for a long time?
(I assume it's been open, not sealed up tight for a while, gotta get all the moisture to boil out under a long vacuum)

Pull your vacuum using both sides until you max out the vacuum scale... then disconnect the leaking gauge hose and cap the service port, and let it vac a bit longer, then charge through the good hose.

Repost with edits due to cable/internet outage
Old 10-04-2015
Registered!!

Found a small cut in the o-ring on the high side valve on my gauges. Had a hard time finding an o-ring that would work but finally got one and looks like I have no leaks. I have had the vac. pump on for about 2 1/2 hours. Going to charge it after the football game. Wish me luck.
Old 10-04-2015
Registered!!

Just finished. Put 23 oz in. Ran at idle. Not that hot today, outside temp 78 degrees and probably on the humid side. Got down to 42 degrees and in the green band on a little A/C thermometer so I think I am good. I was hoping for a little colder but I think it will be better with some airflow while driving. Hose in the engine bay was really cold and the other was just a little warm. Low gauge read 30psi and high was 138 psi
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

I have been doing a little more reading and wondering about my pressure readings, especially the high side. From what I have read it seems like it is low. It seems to be working okay but waiting for a hot day to see how well it works. My readings were made at idle so that may have skewed the readings somewhat.
Old 10-05-2015

Ambient temperature, RPM, and heat load on the system have everything to do with high side pressure readings.

A cool day will give you rather low readings on the high pressure side.
78 degrees is not very hot at all. The system is loafing LOL
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone. I am a little OCD. Even though I think it is working right I read something and think my readings should be better. I will let it go and see what it does when we get a hot day. Supposed to be mild rest of the week. But here in Fl it could be 95 next week. Thanks for all the help you give to us hacks.

Ed