Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Violent Shake

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rainman15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Violent Shake

2004 Civic EX coupe 5spd completely stock, 119k miles. The car looks like new, runs perfect, comfortable and I absolutely love it.

Car has no modifications of any kind except for some window tint. It has new stock size tires with about 3k miles and the stock aluminum rims. Problem is when I am at speeds between 45-55 the steering wheel shakes violently from side to side. If I speed up past 55 it goes away, if I slow below 45 it goes away, smooth as glass at any other speed. I had the tires balanced and rotated and checked for bent or otherwise damaged wheels and all checked out fine. The brake rotors are almost new and there is no shaking, pulsing or vibration when I brake. I thought possibly it could be a bent CV shaft or a wheel bearing issue??? I just don't know what else to do.

Anybody got a recommendation or experience like this they can share?
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: Violent Shake

Wheels out of balance?
Old 09-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

when I am at speeds between 45-55 the steering wheel shakes violently from side to side.
Drive at 50 MPH. Does it shake at steady speed?

Accelerate hard a little bit, does it shake?

Let off the gas pedal, does it still shake while you are coasting in the 55-45 range?

I had the tires balanced and rotated and checked for bent or otherwise damaged wheels and all checked out fine.
Have you asked a good mechanic to test drive it and figure out what the heck is wrong?

Fix-a-flat in a tire? Green Slime in a tire?
Old 09-06-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

is there anything at all you have done to the car just before the issue started? new tires?

-I think you have ruled out rotors
-I don't think it is your hub bearings because that would be constant and very laud while turning (sounds like a helicopter)
- you have stock rims so it wouldn't be a hub centering plastic insert issue.
-you have had them balanced so it shouldn't be your rims

I would start by checking your lug nuts, then if they are torqued, remove the rims and check all of your suspension components, especially bolts, also check the top mount bolts where your suspension bolts into the top of the engine bay in the front, and in the trunk under the trunk liner for the rear.
Old 09-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Wheel bearing/s
Old 09-06-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Find a shop that does Road Force balancing. http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing and http://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-touch

I don't even both with regular (non-road forced) balancing anymore. I usually get/have Firestone's lifetime balancing (life of the car) and tell them to road-force it.. and they do.
Old 09-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

ball joints or tie rod ends most likely.