Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 auto jerking at higher rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galbir is an unknown quantity at this point
01 auto jerking at higher rpms

Hey guys.

I bought a civic ex 01 auto from a used dealer a few days ago and it's been running fairly normal since. Except three things.
For one when I first start it for about 10 seconds there is this high pitched sounds that getslouder when I accelerate but goes away fairly quickly. The dealer said the belts were just changed and that they just need to break in. I doubt this but i'm a simple pleb.
The second thing is that when I'm on the interstate and I try to speed up past 60 the car bucks. It is fine if I feather the gas up to 75 but if I press it too far it happens.

Lastly when I put it in lower gears like 2 D blinks but if i turn it off and back on it stops.

I took it by a part store and got a egr valve code.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Re: 01 auto jerking at higher rpms

Someone on /o/ said it was the timing belt needing to break in and that I should floor it. This scares me.
Old 08-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Galbir
Hey guys.

I bought a civic ex 01 auto from a used dealer a few days ago and it's been running fairly normal since. Except three things.
Take it back, make them fix it?
Wait, the dealer already got your money. You are history to them.

For one when I first start it for about 10 seconds there is this high pitched sounds that getslouder when I accelerate but goes away fairly quickly.
Loudass screech? Alternator belt isn't tight enough. (GUESS)

The dealer said the belts were just changed and that they just need to break in. I doubt this but i'm a simple pleb.
Good job. Break in already happened, belt stretched a bit and is now too loose.
Wait, the dealer already got your money. You are history to them.

The second thing is that when I'm on the interstate and I try to speed up past 60 the car bucks. It is fine if I feather the gas up to 75 but if I press it too far it happens.
Not enough description on this one.

Lastly when I put it in lower gears like 2 D blinks but if i turn it off and back on it stops.
Blinking D light means there are fault codes related to the transmission.
I took it by a part store and got a egr valve code.
Probably need a better scanner than what they have to get trans codes then.

What's the EGR code? What number was the code?

Someone on /o/ said it was the timing belt needing to break in and that I should floor it. This scares me.
You been trolled. Stick a Sharpie in your
Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

Sorry about the slow response bud.

The jerking happens when I press the gas pedal too far it jumps up to 4k and then goes down to 3 then back to 4 in rhythm with the jerking. Once I pull off the gas it stops. Sorry I didn't describe it better.

Just noticed when I put it into D3 it shows as 2nd on the display.

I crossed the obd sensor and got some codes that the auto store didn't.

ABS:
13 Front Wheel Sensor

Tranny:
45 or P0780?

SRS:
51 Internal Failure Of The SRS Unit

Cel:
12 EGR Lift Sensor
22 Vtec pressure valve?
70 tranny

Can transmission codes even be read this way? The D had 4 slow blinks and then 5 fast blinks but not a long no blink and 1 fast blink for the 01 part of a 45-01 code.

Also the whining sound only happens when the A/C button is pressed ac can be on fine but not that button.

Thanks a ton for the help bud.
Old 08-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The jerking happens when I press the gas pedal too far it jumps up to 4k and then goes down to 3 then back to 4 in rhythm with the jerking. Once I pull off the gas it stops. Sorry I didn't describe it better.
from here I can't tell if that would be an engine issue or a trans issue.

Just noticed when I put it into D3 it shows as 2nd on the display.
Ain't right, but why?
Linkage misadjusted?
Range sensor misadjusted?
Wrong trans installed (SLXA instead of BMXA)??
IDK.

ABS:
13 Front Wheel Sensor
Left front open or short. If the ABS warning light wasn't staying on, this is probably an old code. Erase if possible and see if it returns later.
Tranny:
45 or P0780?
P0780 was not in the list of possible codes.

Under engine blink codes I found 45 but nothing under transmission.
SRS:
51 Internal Failure Of The SRS Unit
Erase it, see if it comes back. If it was set due to low battery voltage or power surge, it should stay gone after erasing. If it returns the same code, the SRS control unit is probably bad.

If you aren't positive you got SRS system codes cleared properly, set a new different code on purpose and see if you can get that to erase.
Cel:
12 EGR Lift Sensor
P1491, would need some testing. Valve may have stuck, wiring issues, etc.
22 Vtec pressure valve?
P1259, first thing is make sure the engine oil is at the full mark. Low oil is the #1 cause of that code.
And if the computer goes into limp mode because of this code, that might explain your surge complaint at the top.
70 tranny
Also was not on my list, it might represent P0700 which would just be a marker to indicate the presence of other trans related codes.

Erase engine and trans codes and see which ones return?

Can transmission codes even be read this way? The D had 4 slow blinks and then 5 fast blinks but not a long no blink and 1 fast blink for the 01 part of a 45-01 code.
I can't rely on blink codes at work, I use the factory scanner software. "P" code descriptions are usually more accurate than blink codes.

Also the whining sound only happens when the A/C button is pressed ac can be on fine but not that button.
So it's not a loud belt screech?
AC systems do make noise.... compare to another like car?