Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel Injector Unplugged for 3 weeks, now running very rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005seTO is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Injector Unplugged for 3 weeks, now running very rough

I noticed a hesitation with my engine in a 2005 civic, after doing some investigation I found that one cylinder (4) wasn't running.

The mechanic who did the intake manifold change / cleaning didn't fully plug in one of the fuel injector plugs.

Now after plugging it in and starting the vehicle there was some smoke coming from the engine for a good 5 minutes. Eventually the smoke stopped.

I took it for a test drive and it was running like an absolute dog, it was throwing codes for misfires on cylinders 1, 3 , 4. It started to get better but is still running a bit rough. I keep getting pending codes (flashing check engine light) for misfires which clear themselves.

Question is, could this have caused any permanent damage?

Should I continue to drive the vehicle and let it cure itself (it did improve quite a bit). Anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!
Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

Blazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fuel Injector Unplugged for 3 weeks, now running very rough

How long ago did you have it worked on? and how did it run b4 the work?

With out knowing the history its hard to say. Do you have or can you borrow a scan tool and post the codes.

The only tip I can give is I had problems with valve stems seals that acted this way, would blow smoke in this way and run like crap, the more I drove it the better. BUT the next day it started all over for me

Last edited by Blazz; 08-24-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

It was an engine rebuild and the mechanic put on the wrong intake manifold gasket. No hesitation but EGR related code.

The intake manifold gasket was changed along with an EGR passageway cleaning to clear the egr code. When this service was performed the mechanic forgot to plug in one of the injector plugs. This is when a hesitation was introduced (no codes, just poor performance)

This screwup was found roughly 3 weeks later, so 3 weeks this cylinder wasn't being delivered fuel. When it was finally plugged back in the codes that came up were P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304. The codes disappeared now what I find is when I drive there are still misfires with the same codes but they are usually pending then clear themselves until the next bout of misfiring.

As I mentioned it's getting better but definitely not there. There are still misfires but alot less when compared to when it was first plugged back in.
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

exhaust valve could be bent. I have seen that.
Check compression.
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Looks like im back in business.

Just before finding the disconnected fuel injector I changed the spark plugs using NGK G-Power.

Today I though i'd try popping in the old spark plugs which were platinum laser. I threw the old plugs in and voila, runs perfectly! Never would have thought the type of plug would make that big a difference, thought i'd be fine with them.

After pulling them out one of them was completely toast, the gap was shut closed.

Thank you everyone for the replies
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Blazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the parts store grabbed the wrong box? Did you drop the new sparkplug? Glad you posted back with a fix. I remember having this problem with a dodge Dakota. I was given plugs that were bigger then old ones but I seen the mix up and took them back b4 I installed.

With all the work done to your car it could have been a number of things wrong. At first it seemed to me to be valve stems seals not seated right when the rebuild was done . Was the plug that was toast on the same cylinder the injector was not connected?