Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knknif is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Transmission Problem

Hey guys, hope this is the right section to post this in. I looked around a bit and didn't see anything.

My main question is about the (seemingly) common issue of the 2001/2 transmission failure. Does this effect all year models or does it only apply to automatic transmissions? If I could get a brief summary with more details on this common problem to make buying a civic easier, I would appreciate it.

I also have a side question that may or may not be better in a different section, but I figure ill throw it in here and hope that it's okay.

When I browse Craigslist looking for a civic (main purpose is to replace my tahoe for commuting purposes) it seems like civics are always priced significantly higher than KBB price or what I would expect to pay. People are posting civics with 200k miles and want $3000+ for them. This isnt always the case of course but it definitely seems common among the civics.

Do civic owners just think their car is perfect and worth that much more than a similar condition vehicle of a different brand? I understand civics tend to have better reliability (which is why I want one, plus the mpg) but half the civics posted have listed prices $1500-$2000 above KBB.

I know people always list prices high expecting people to try and pay less, but I call these people and they aren't willing to move more than a couple hundred..Whats up with that?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: 2002 Transmission Problem

I know what you mean... CL is chock full of bad deals & overpriced cars.
I have an 01 LX 5sp manual. I bought it in Apr2014. I commute 28 miles a day. Mine was off the road for 2 weeks after I bought it from the original owner. This thread details my experience: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic/363632-my-7th-gen-1-year-anniversary.html
I originally wasn't considering a Civic. I was looking for a Corolla (8th gen) with an auto transmission. I saw the CL ad for my car, and after the test drive I knew it needed a wheel bearing & some TLC.
I spent more than I wanted this past year, but I'm happy with my Civic.
I have read this forum that there are many auto trans issues, but maybe frequent drain/fills of the tranny helps avoid problems?
Many things depend on how the previous owners maintained the car.
If I was going to buy a replacement car for my Civic, and I wanted an automatic trans, I'd look for a Corolla. But be warned, the 96-02 1.8 engines burn oil. Depending on how clogged the oil holes in the pistons have become. Figure more miles on the motor, the more oil it likely burns. Toyita Nation 8th gen forums covers it in detail.
Here are some in my area I might look at:
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5140320473.html
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5139722419.html
Here is a 5sp Civic that tempts me, except that last pictire with the tow hitch. That worries me. But if I was willing to spend $8k on a car, i'd look at this: https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5137893611.html

Last edited by bsmiley; 07-25-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would truthfully say that Honda Civic owners selling their cars for 3000 dollars or more and they have 200,000 miles plus are downright CRAZY. I think they'll have it in their minds that these cars are good college student cars therefore college student wanting a car is going to pay that much. And on top of that these people are probably thinking they put $2000 worth of parts into them so their cars worth double that. I know honda civics are good cars to buy because if something goes wrong on them you can go to junkyard and get practically any part for them. Like a pick and pull. About the transmission issue. I have a 2001 Honda Civic ex with 150,000 miles. And I have a transmission flare when i hit 3rd gear. Not a slip but a flare. 2 different things. I just flushed my tranny a few times and hope my car lasts me until i can afford a new or newer car.
Old 08-04-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Civics are good cars but tend to leak oil, blow head gaskets, power window issues, clear coat issues from 2005 and previous (applies to most cars), leaky trunks. Civics are better than most but IMO Mazda's 3's are better cars for the past 10 years and are still assembled in Japan. 2004 3's with 100k miles can be had for $2500 to $3500 and provide better overall ride, handling and performance than Civics with and with less maintenance issues. Honda has the better name..Mazda makes the better car..with the name carries the unrealistic price tag.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-04-2015 at 06:21 PM.