Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

putting the cam shaft and rocker arm assembly back on the head

Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
7thgensurvivor is an unknown quantity at this point
putting the cam shaft and rocker arm assembly back on the head

Okay, so I think I am ready to start re-assembing everything.

My first step is to get the cam shaft and rocker arm assembly all back together, but I am already confused. when I got the head back from the shop, they had a couple of pins in the top of the head that I think are in the wrong places. Hoping you guys can help me figure things out.

I have attached a couple pictures of the head with the camshaft laying in it. There is a pin / guide on the left in the front and one in the back near the right side. Neither of these seems to be in the right place to me. Kinda guessing the machine shop just put them in where ever they could find a spot so as not to lose them.

My question, where should they go, are there more that I am missing?

Tried doing some searches, but had a hard time finding the pics of how this goes back together.

Any more tips for reinstalling the cam shaft and rocker arm assembly? Do I need lube to put it back together, or just motor oil?

Much thanks. I am stressing about doing this all correctly. As I am sure you can tell, I am very new to all of this.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Head full 1.JPG
Views:	7050
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	87928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head left pin.JPG
Views:	3925
Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	87929   Click image for larger version

Name:	head right pin.JPG
Views:	6496
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	87930   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker arm assembly left.JPG
Views:	17487
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	87931   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker arm assembly middle.JPG
Views:	5795
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	87932  

Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Re: putting the cam shaft and rocker arm assembly back on the head

Ok, disregard the previous post. I obviously wasn't thinking / looking hard enough. I get it now that each of the bolts that attaches the rocker arm assembly to the head seems to have a sleeve / guide. In the attached picture, it looks like all but one of them is there. I assume this one is lost, since it isn't there. Perhaps when I brought the head into the machine shop, a couple of them were still stuck in the head. Stupid me. Anyway, in the attached picture, I see possibly two missing pieces, a sleeve for the bolt that doesn't have one, but what goes in the other hole that is circled?

Thank you

Name:	IMG_0959.JPG
Views:	4281
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	87934  
Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Alright, a little more research and it appears from majestic that this is part # 94301-10160 and that 9 are required. I have 9, but I am not sure which of the 10 rocker arm bolts doesn't get one. Any ideas?

Sorry if it is annoying that I am having a dialog with myself.
Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 7thgensurvivor
Anyway, in the attached picture, I see possibly two missing pieces, a sleeve for the bolt that doesn't have one, but what goes in the other hole that is circled?
The hole that's circled is just a port for an oil plug. Nothing goes in there from the bottom but there should be a corresponding bolt on top of that.

Not sure on the sleeves for the rocker are bolts, had my motor apart over the winter but don't remember being short on them. I guess you could check the grooves in the head and rocker arm assembly and see if they both have room for the sleeve.

I also think the two "sleeves" you have in the top of the head (one on the far left and one towards the middle) are the alignment parts that go into the bottom of head. They go between the head and the engine to ensure that the head lines up properly.
Name:  dowels.gif
Views: 13584
Size:  9.8 KB

Last edited by drhawkinz; 07-25-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'll guess that any place a dowel is supposed to go, the castings will be machined for it to fit the hole.

Each journal cap probably has 2 dowels no matter how big the cap is......'
Pic 1 of 1, that end cap has 2 dowels -- one large and one small, mounted diagonal, that's all that is needed to keep that journal cap aligned.

Some holes are for oil, as in lubrication (pic 5 of 5: hole probably fits over the restrictor on the center cam journal boss)--- and VTEC passages if equipped.

You would need to study carefully and trace passages to figure out what goes where, where it comes from and goes to, and what's on the other side.

I lube journals and valvetrain with engine oil.

Don't forget the front and rear caps probably need a small dab of RTV to stop oil leaks. Apply only to areas the cap is exposed to the outside and not covered by the valve cover gasket and shaft seal....and don't plug up the oil drain passages with it either. Consult your FSM
Random GIS examples:

Old 07-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

No special lube is required if you are using the old camshaft oil is fine.
Put the plastic side plug first it is easier this way.
Old 07-26-2015
Registered!!

Probably further exposing how little I know / understand here, but I don't know which part you are referring to when you say "journals".

Originally Posted by ezone

Don't forget the front and rear caps probably need a small dab of RTV to stop oil leaks. Apply only to areas the cap is exposed to the outside and not covered by the valve cover gasket and shaft seal....and don't plug up the oil drain passages with it either. Consult your FSM
Great Advice. I took a look at the FSM and found an exploded view of the rocker arm assembly (attached) and saw that there were only 9 of the guides (maybe these are the journals you speak of?) and which bolt doesn't get one. Still strange to me cause it looks like one fits there.

Anyway, looking further into the FSM, one of the first steps in putting thing back together is to clean and install the oil control orifice with a new O-ring. Not sure what the oil control orifice is. Maybe the two things I have circled in red in the attached picture? But there are two of them, and they look much bigger than what I see in the picture in the FSM. Any ideas?

Name:	rocker arm assembly.png
Views:	10743
Size:	676.6 KB
ID:	87936   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker arm assembly installation.png
Views:	3555
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	87937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0960.JPG
Views:	3429
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	87938  
Old 07-26-2015
Registered!!

Ok, found out what the oil control orifice is. Pretty sure it is the guy circled in the attached pic. Now to figure out how to remove it.

Name:	IMG_0962.JPG
Views:	2466
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	87939  
Old 07-26-2015
Registered!!

Ok, the exploded view of the rocker arm and camshaft I included before was the wrong engine. Attached is the d17a2. Which further confuses me because the bolt sleeve (journal?) on the far far left that is a little smaller than the rest is not in that picture. Not sure if it goes there like I have it in mine.

See the attached for the d17a2 exploded view, and where I have placed mine in the attached pics.

Name:	d17a2 camshaft and rocker arm assembly.png
Views:	17179
Size:	718.4 KB
ID:	87941   Click image for larger version

Name:	left guide.png
Views:	2132
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	87942  
Old 07-26-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know which part you are referring to when you say "journals".
Bearing surface. The area or part or casting containing a bearing surface is commonly referred to as a journal. The removable part of it may be called a cap or journal cap.

and saw that there were only 9 of the guides
Dowels. I counted 10.

one of the first steps in putting thing back together is to clean and install the oil control orifice with a new O-ring.
You are much safer to just leave it alone IMO.

The orifice (restrictor) is in the red circle. It probably matches up with your red circle in post #1, pic 5 of 5: hole probably fits over the restrictor on the center cam journal boss)---
Name:  WbXPpxU.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  230.9 KB

And the hole in the blue circle lines up with the hole on your pic 4 of 5 here

BTW the bolt at the top of this hole MUST be tightened......if it falls out you will pull your hair out trying to figure out why it keeps setting a VTEC code.

EDIT: Still replying to post 7 above, didn't notice you found the restrictor.

Last edited by ezone; 07-26-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2015

Originally Posted by 7thgensurvivor
Ok, the exploded view of the rocker arm and camshaft I included before was the wrong engine. Attached is the d17a2. Which further confuses me because the bolt sleeve (journal?) on the far far left that is a little smaller than the rest is not in that picture. Not sure if it goes there like I have it in mine.

See the attached for the d17a2 exploded view, and where I have placed mine in the attached pics.
Your manual looks wrong. Your pic looks right. That dowel IS shown in a parts catalog diagram. Remember, there will be space machined to fit them wherever they are supposed to be.

9 dowels of one size for the 8mm bolts, plus 1 smaller dowel to go around the 6mm bolt.
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Thanks ezone. Right as usual.

Getting close to buttoning up the valve cover. A few concerns:

1) I didn't use near as much lube on the cam shaft as my Haynes manual shows. I bolted down the rocker arm assembly with the appropriate honda bond in the corners already and really don't want to open it back up. thinking I should be able to get by by using a toothpick or something to shove a little more assembly lube in all the places where I can see the cam shaft through the rocker arm assembly. Also planning to oil the rocker arm assembly, springs, journals etc before putting the cover back on. Thinking to put the cover back on just before starting the car for the first time, so all the oil is still mostly where I put it.

2) A couple of the cam journals (at least I think that is what they are) are not freely rotating like the rest of them. You can see the two in question in attached picture circled in red. Not sure if this is supposed to be this way or not. Do I need to take the whole rocker arm assembly off again and start this part over?

Name:	CamJournalsDontSpin.jpg
Views:	3711
Size:	838.9 KB
ID:	88021  
Old 08-26-2015

1) Get a quart of oil, pour it over the whole thing while the valve cover is off.

If you want to prime it before starting, leave the coils unplugged and crank it until the oil light goes out. Then reconnect everything and fire it up.

2) not sure what you are calling cam journals, what you circled look like simple spacers on the rocker shaft intended to keep the rocker arm(s) located in one area and not let them slide sideways.

Fire it up!