Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

So My Timing Belt Snapped....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ariah J. Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
So My Timing Belt Snapped....

Car: '04 Civic 1.7L Standard Transmission

So I was driving down the road at about 35- 40 mph when I experienced engine failure. Pulled over and tried to crank it. I didnt realize it at the time, but when I tried to turn it on, the only noise I was hearing was the starter spinning. Initially I thought it was a fuel related issue, and tried to fix the problem as it were. Luckily I didnt get as far as to mess with the fuel pump before I stumbled across some people having the same problem. Some people said it could be the timing belt, I do a youtube search and lo and behold, my car is doing and making the same sounds. I'm 100% sure my timing belt snapped now.

I know its going to be a pain to do it myself. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, not so much to know that the timing belt requires occasional maintanence, but enough to work on the car if a single part needs replaced. I'm not sure if I can tackle this issue solo, but willing to give it a try and take the necessary precautions to do so. My question is: Is there any way to check for valve damage before tearing into anything? and if there is valve damage, how hard is it to change out the valves yourself, or is this going to be a non serviceable part?

Also, how likely am I to have valve damage? The engine pretty much immediately died and then I coasted maybe another 500 ft before turning into a neihborhood to park the car.
Old 07-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So My Timing Belt Snapped....

Originally Posted by Ariah J. Davis
My question is: Is there any way to check for valve damage before tearing into anything?
#1 inspect and verify the camshaft is no longer connected to the crankshaft.
My first check is to remove the oil cap and look inside (flashlight) while someone else cranks the engine over. IF the pieces of the valvetrain you can see through the hole (rocker arms) never move, that's bad.

Then you can remove the valve cover and upper timing cover if you wish, look inside and see what you can see.

With the valve cover off, you can check valve clearances and if there are some with HUGE gaps, those valves are bent.

and if there is valve damage, how hard is it to change out the valves yourself, or is this going to be a non serviceable part?
In the interest of efficiency, I'd remove the head and send it to a reputable machine shop and let them do it along with all the other inspections a head should receive when it is pulled from an engine.
Also, how likely am I to have valve damage?
If the belt let go while driving, I'd say it's a 99.99% sure bet.

If no valve damage, go invest in lottery tickets.

You also need to determine what caused the timing belt to let go. Neglect?
Tensioner pulley or spring failure?
Something locked up?
Old 07-20-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
If no valve damage, go invest in lottery tickets
+1 to that. I had my TDC sensor bolt fall off and proceed to eat my timing belt. Left a 1/4" wide strip of timing belt left connecting the cam to the crank. I guess I didn't properly torque the bolt down after changing my head gasket. Needless to say, when I discovered it, the crank pulley was 3/4 turn advanced.

The result: all 16 valves bent. Ended up doing a headgasket job again, complete with replacing all 16 valves, seals, and a trip to the machine shop to make sure the valve guides were all happy.

Pro tip: use hondaautomotiveparts.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com to get all the OEM parts you may need. I'd recommend the former if you're located east coast, the latter if you're west coast.
Old 07-20-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Pro tip: use hondaautomotiveparts.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com
Both of those went to the same place? (Majestic Honda)