Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Clicking/Grinding noises from transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f575gtc is an unknown quantity at this point
Clicking/Grinding noises from transmissions

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Civic LX 5-speed with 194k miles. The transmission has a few issues I am trying to diagnose to be certain of the problem.

First issue is the input shaft bearing needs to be replaced, the transmission makes a humming noise with the clutch released only, the second I press in the clutch it stops, that was the easy part to diagnose. The 2nd issue not so much.

When I put the car in gear, in first I hear a pretty loud grinding/clicking noise from the transmission, once I go into 2nd, the grinding/clicking is there, but it gets quieter, almost not noticeable. It ONLY does it in gear, once I press the clutch in, or take the car out of gear it stops. It does it in a straight line or turning left or right, it is not a CV shaft. If I am in first take the car to about 3-4k rpm and let off the gas to engine brake the noise gets really loud, its more a clicking than anything else. The car drives fine though, gears go in smoothly, no grinding on shifts etc.

Upon doing some research it seems I have a counter shaft bearing that is done. Can anyone double check my symptoms and confirm this? I am mechanically inclined so I can fix this myself, but I am more a Subaru person so I have never messed with Hondas too much, but I know my way around the insides of a transmission.

Thank you
Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Clicking/Grinding noises from transmissions

take a video with sound and post it
Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSa...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

too much wind noise.....

take the video from inside the car showing the speedo/tach,

that sounds like a possible wheel bearing to me
Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

If it was a wheel bearing, it shouldn't stop when I press the clutch in.
Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by f575gtc
If it was a wheel bearing, it shouldn't stop when I press the clutch in.
you could still have a bad wheel bearing in addition to the tranny issue,

im telling you what i heard in the video,

but i guess you are smarter then i am, so go figure it out on your own
Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

Really? I was just pointing out the fact it stops when I press the clutch in, no need to get defensive...
Old 07-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by f575gtc
Really? I was just pointing out the fact it stops when I press the clutch in, no need to get defensive...

yeah....sorry about that post.....too much of this last night
Old 07-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it's formerly minor trans bearing noise might have become a little more of a major noise now...and catastrophic failure may be much closer if not here already.
Old 07-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

How much cost a transmission?
You have to take out yours anyway.
Consider transmission replacement.
Old 07-13-2015
Registered!!

So the transmission is out and opened.

All the gears look fine, the syncros etc look fine, the transmission had very little metal shavings in it.

I checked all the bearings including the counter-shaft bearing the only one that makes a sound similar to what I was hearing when spun is the input shaft bearing.

I took off the bearing and spun it very fast with compressed air and the noise is identical to what I was hearing, it is differently pitched because it has no load, but I think its coming from that.

It always made the noise, but as I went up in gear, the noise changed pitch and became less noticeable, it wasn't a 1st and 2nd gear thing only.

Now I am still wondering why it didn't make the noise in neutral. I can understand it stopping when I push in the clutch because I am taking the load off the transmission input, but in neutral, the input shaft is still spinning with load is it not?

Also I ended up noticing that the the hub has a severely stripped stud and since I need to take the hub off to replace it, I am going to be doing two new front hubs and bearings, so I will know if it was a wheel bearing mikey1 .

Anyways side note, is there a known problem with these cars stripping studs instantly? or did the previous owner put on the lugs incorrectly or use wrong ones? They were all M12x1.5 but they seemed to get narrow towards the tip and that is where the stud is stripped.

And once again, thanks for all the input and help.
Old 07-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but in neutral, the input shaft is still spinning with load is it not?
In neutral with your foot OFF of the clutch pedal there is no load but the weight of the spinning shafts and gears.
There would be some input bearing noise but since there is almost no load it may be much quieter than when trying to drive it.

In neutral (or in gear) with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor, no noise at all would be heard because nothing inside the trans is moving. (provided the clutch disengages properly)

If a bearing has gotten bad enough to allow undesired shaft movement in any direction, that bearing alone could cause considerable noise --- as could gear misalignment.

side note, is there a known problem with these cars stripping studs instantly?
Nope.
Look for installer error, reusing a boogered nut, impact gun and overtightening, carelessness, etc.

Lug nut torque spec is only 80 ft-lb.