Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Crank-no start and random acceleration

Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pwelsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank-no start and random acceleration

Hello everyone

First I'd like to start off by saying that I don't know **** about cars and that I've given up trying to fix things myself cause I always end of breaking something. Granted I just need to find out answers.

So now to the problem.

I have an 02 Honda Civic EX 1.7L MFI VTEC SOHC 4cyl (I figure you might need all this info). For a while now I'll have an issue of trying to crank it but it not starting, . Even if I leave the key in and wait, it doesn't always fix the problem. I let it sit for about an hour then its good to go.

Then I have four different situation that happen when I try to start it other times:
1. I crank it and it'll catch at the last second and rumble to life.
2. It does start, it likes to accelerate and then stay at 1.5k or 2k rpms even when idle.
3. Its completely fine but idles at 1k rpm.
4. It works fine all day but after going to a couple places (like the grocery store then where ever) it'll do the whole crank and no start.

So what I've notice is that when I turn off the car after trying to get it to start, a green key light flashes. Also the crank and no start happens more frequently when I'm on a quarter tank of gas.

I have no check engine light on and when I did it was for my thermostat. I replaced my spark plugs not to long ago and of course this was happening before and after I replaced them.

From my little bit of research I figured it could be the CPK sensor and that it could be the ECU that needs to relearn what idle is. Then again l don't know **** about cars and I'm just regurgitating what info I found.

So now I'm here and hoping to get some more leads to see what could be possibly wrong.

Thank you