Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2002 Clutch issue | Clutch Slave Cylinder Question

Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steinar.D is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Clutch issue | Clutch Slave Cylinder Question

My daughter had just bought her first car and only a week old it won't shift into gear with engine running. On inspection of the Clutch Slave Cylinder it appears fine but not sure how much motion is normal. I have posted a 4 second video of the motion range, please have a look and tell me if it appears normal?

She broke down on the freeway and the tow operator thought strongly that it could be the Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLqK...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
Steinar
Old 07-07-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2002 Clutch issue | Clutch Slave Cylinder Question

Is there still pressure in the clutch pedal or does it go straight to the floor?

When the pedal is pressed is it difficult to get into gear?
Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

The clutch pedal has pressure and I see no visible fluid leaks either. If the engine is running it will not go into gear with clutch depressed. Gears work when engine not running.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I would bleed the clutch since all that takes is brake fluid and that is inexpensive. It sounds like you have enough air in the system that it is not releasing the clutch all the way. Verify that the slave cylinder is securely mounted.
Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

Slave cylinder appears fine visually, I will try a bleed on the system after work. If anyone looked at the video, does that amount of movement appear normal?

Thanks

Originally Posted by pjb3
I would bleed the clutch since all that takes is brake fluid and that is inexpensive. It sounds like you have enough air in the system that it is not releasing the clutch all the way. Verify that the slave cylinder is securely mounted.
Old 07-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of plunger movement appears about like what I'd expect to see....

When you push the pedal down does the plunger stay extended the entire time, or does it retract before you release the pedal?

You might try using a long heavy screwdriver to manually push/pry the throwout lever, see if the clutch will release this way.

If it won't release at all, I'd guess one of the springs broke in the disc and has wedged itself to keep the disc locked and spinning with the pressure plate and flywheel.
Did it make a POP noise immediately before this problem was discovered?
Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

It did make some sort of a noise, a pop sound could describe it. The plunger stays when it's depressed. Guess that rules out the hydraulics?

Maybe related but my daughter said it was having issues going into fifth gear. How many hours is reasonable expectation for a mechanic to re&re the clutch if needed?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ezone
The amount of plunger movement appears about like what I'd expect to see....

When you push the pedal down does the plunger stay extended the entire time, or does it retract before you release the pedal?

You might try using a long heavy screwdriver to manually push/pry the throwout lever, see if the clutch will release this way.

If it won't release at all, I'd guess one of the springs broke in the disc and has wedged itself to keep the disc locked and spinning with the pressure plate and flywheel.
Did it make a POP noise immediately before this problem was discovered?
Old 07-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steinar.D
It did make some sort of a noise, a pop sound could describe it. The plunger stays when it's depressed. Guess that rules out the hydraulics?
If the pedal still feels about normal then 'probably'.

Maybe related but my daughter said it was having issues going into fifth gear.
You should ask serious questions about this, see if the trans itself needs further attention while it's out of the car.

How many hours is reasonable expectation for a mechanic to re&re the clutch if needed?
Clutch job only, I'd GUESS about a half days worth of labor, plus wheel alignment because the subframe normally comes out to do the job.
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

Thanks, I'm thinking of maybe attempting this myself. Not a mechanic but reasonable handy. I'll scour around for some references on what this entails.

Steinar

Originally Posted by ezone
If the pedal still feels about normal then 'probably'.
You should ask serious questions about this, see if the trans itself needs further attention while it's out of the car.

Clutch job only, I'd GUESS about a half days worth of labor, plus wheel alignment because the subframe normally comes out to do the job.
Old 07-08-2015

When I said a half days worth of labor that was for figuring out the labor charges $$$, not how long it would actually take you if you try to DIY it.

People have said it's possible to get the trans to come out through the top but I have never tried to do it that way. I think there's a thread somewhere around this forum about it.
Old 07-10-2015
Registered!!

Found a good mechanic and it's almost back together, clutch and pressure plate were toast. Will post pics in a bit.