Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HID low beam ballast somehow powers the high beams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anbu7elite is an unknown quantity at this point
HID low beam ballast somehow powers the high beams?

Simply put, my high beam and low beam both do not work on my driver's side. I checked the fuses and they seem to be okay, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

It cannot be the bulbs because I switched them to the passenger's side and they both work.

I have a 2005 civic coupe lx

Last edited by anbu7elite; 07-02-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Making my post more straightforward
Old 07-02-2015
Registered!!

Re: HID low beam ballast somehow powers the high beams?

Ignore the title*
Old 07-02-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Did you also switch ballests to see if that is the issue?

So do you have 2 ballests per side? One for low beams one for high?

Could be the relay harness. I had a side go out on mine due to the relay harness corroding and disconnecting. See if you are getting voltage at the ballests that are not working. If not then trace the wires back until you find where it is dropping out.
Old 07-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Did you also switch ballests to see if that is the issue?

So do you have 2 ballests per side? One for low beams one for high?

Could be the relay harness. I had a side go out on mine due to the relay harness corroding and disconnecting. See if you are getting voltage at the ballests that are not working. If not then trace the wires back until you find where it is dropping out.
No, I only have ballasts for my low beams, my high beams are just halogen bulbs. And yes I did switch the ballasts and bulbs, everything seems to work fine on the passenger's side but nothing on the driver's side.
Old 07-02-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Is the high beam side connected into the relay harness that controls the ballasts for the low beam?

I think it's your relay harness, either a bad connection or bad relay. If you have a bolt meter or test light you could check. Do you have a single relay unit that controls both HID's?
Old 07-04-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you could, would it be possible for you to draft up a wiring schematic of how you have them hooked up?