Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn off

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn off

I changed the actuator on the driver's side of my 02 coupe with an actuator I bought off ebay that is supposedly an OEM actuator. Anyway, it seems to work fine and my power locks work fine again with the key fob, but I noticed two things that are different from before the actuator failed a few weeks ago:

1. The doors now auto-lock after I put the engine in ACC or turn it on, about 1-2 seconds after. They also auto-unlock when the engine is turned off.

2. When the engine is on, I cannot use the internal lock switch (driver side) to unlock the doors. It does nothing unless I turn off the engine, and then (see #1 above) the doors auto-unlock. I can't really remember if this was the case before replacing the actuator.

Is this likely something wrong with the installation or something else problematic, or is there some other explanation?
Old 06-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn

Get rid of the aftermarket (locks, alarm, whatever) unit. Dig under the dash, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.
Old 06-30-2015
Registered!!

Re: Replaced actuator... now auto locks after I turn on car and auto locks when turn

Originally Posted by ezone
Get rid of the aftermarket (locks, alarm, whatever) unit. Dig under the dash, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I do have an alarm but do you think that it would change how/when it arms/locks without having been re-configured/programmed? I noticed today that it is the key turning (to the second "stop", which is ACC I guess?) that locks the doors and turning the other way that unlocks the doors. I guess it's useful actually but mostly I wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that there was something wrong with the installation.
Old 06-30-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^ If you had the battery loose it may have defaulted its settings to what you have now.

An easy test would be locate alarm control and disconnect it, then try.
Old 06-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^^^ If you had the battery loose it may have defaulted its settings to what you have now.

An easy test would be locate alarm control and disconnect it, then try.

Thanks, appreciate the input. I did disconnect the battery numerous times so that could be it. I will give it a try later.
Old 06-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^^What he said! LOL