Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 civic lx front crank seal help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
671civicLX is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 civic lx front crank seal help

The rubber seal behind the crank pully is hanging and there's a slow leak... Any tips on how to replace the front crank seal? I was charged $300 from my local dealer....
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2003 civic lx front crank seal help

- remove crank pulley
- remove timing belt cover
- remove timing belt
- remove timing belt drive pulley (on crank)
- remove crank seal
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
671civicLX is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any certain procedure to remove timing belt and putting it back on? Or is as simple as removing it and putting it back on?
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 671civicLX
Is there any certain procedure to remove timing belt and putting it back on? Or is as simple as removing it and putting it back on?
if you are uncertain, which you seem to be i would highly suggest buying a manual, honda, haynes, chilton, whatever, and refer to the timing belt replacement procedures, while you have the belt off you might as well replace it,

you need to be very careful the timing marks align before you remove the belt, and also after you install it,

to make it short, you line up the crank mark with the pointer on the engine casing, then verify the cam marks line up also (which they should at this point in time)

next you remove the timing belt tensioner spring from the post on the engine, this will take the tension off the belt,

remove the belt,

re-install the belt after crank seal replacement, and reconnect/install the timing belt tensioner spring,

now rotate the engine by hand a few times and make sure the timing marks line up on both the cam and crank during each revolution,
Old 06-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 671civicLX
I was charged $300 from my local dealer....
$300 to fix a leak? And it still leaks? Take it back.