Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cruise Control issue

Old 06-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicDaniel is an unknown quantity at this point
Cruise Control issue

I've checked the other cruise control threads and those seem to be a different issue than what I am experiencing.

I have a 2001 Civic. Recently, when cruise control is engaged the car will randomly decelerate and in some cases the cruise control will just cut off. This doesn't happen every time I use cruise control, but it happens more frequently these days.

The green cruise button light works. When engaged, the cruise control text lights up on the dash and the cruise will actually engage. So I don't think its a fuse issue (which seems to be the more common issue).

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?
Old 06-23-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Cruise Control issue

Search this site.... it was 7th gen only at one time.

Too much slack in a cable comes to mind though.
Old 06-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So does a bad control unit, the usual lights remain on but it loses track of the speed.
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicDaniel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
So does a bad control unit, the usual lights remain on but it loses track of the speed.
Is there a way to test it without taking it to the dealer? Where is the control unit located in the car? Is it is to replace (assuming it needs to be replaced)?
Old 06-24-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Control unit: Sedan is near the drivers side, lower.
Old 06-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CivicDaniel
Is there a way to test it without taking it to the dealer? Where is the control unit located in the car? Is it is to replace (assuming it needs to be replaced)?
A dealer probably wouldn't (can't) test it. I don't think I have ever tried, I don't know there is any way to test it other than check every other component then try a known good unit if everything else tested good.
Where is anyone going to find a known good unit to try?

Read up on the symptoms people notice where the fix is a new cruise control unit. See if your symptoms match.

Also, the cruise systems can be entirely different between coupe and sedan. Please state your car details whenever you start a thread.

HTH