Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!
View Poll Results: Should I:
Swap the transmission AND clutch?
100.00%
Just do the transmission?
0%
Wait till the transmission really starts to go before doing any repairs/swapping?
0%
Not bother with any repairs at because of the high km's, and wait till it dies/sell it now?
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Do I HAVE to replace the clutch with the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
begogadashi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do I HAVE to replace the clutch with the transmission?

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, thanks in advance for all your help!

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Sedan, 1.7 SOHC, with 289,000km on it. The input shaft bearing in my transmission has been going for about 2 years, but aside from hearing it while in idle, first, and third gears, so far my transmission mostly still shifts well. That being said, I realize I should probably do something about it. I can get a used tranny swapped in for about $500-$600. I know that when you do a tranny you should also replace the clutch, but my clutch seems to be fine (I've tested it by pushing it in the higher gears, and there's no slipping; I've also driven at 30km/h and then floored it in 5th - still no slipping). Do I have to do the clutch too, or will it be fine to leave the old one in? Remember, it's got 289,000km on it. I'm hoping to get as many km's out of this car as possible, so ideally I'd love to put another 100,000km on it - at least - before putting it to rest. Ideally.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I HAVE to replace the clutch with the transmission?

No, you don't HAVE to replace the clutch.

But you should think of things like
how old it is,
how many miles (or kms) it's already got on it, and
how much it will cost to replace it later vs. replace the clutch while the trans is already out of the car.

If you DIY then it's just price of the parts and a bunch of your time, but if you have to pay someone else to pull out the trans to change the clutch it's not cheap.

HTH
Old 06-11-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Do I HAVE to replace the clutch with the transmission?

I would replace the bearing and do the clutch while it was apart.