Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0336 and P0335

Old 06-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beantech is an unknown quantity at this point
P0336 and P0335

Hi everyone, long time lurker and first time posting and I don't consider my self to be mechanic by any means. So I have a 2002 honda civic ex with a manual transmission with about 172,xxx miles on it. The other day, my girl friend was driving to work and she said that the battery light turned on then she felt something dropped and that she started hearing noises.

So we got the car towed and I poked inside and saw that the power steering belt and alternator/ac belt had come off. Also the harmonic balancer was very lose and the woodruff key was damaged. Then I plugged my scanner and gave me P0336 and P0335 codes. And after further inspection I found that the timing belt didn't snap or anything.

Now to my questions, is my engine screwed? If its not, can I unplug the crankshaft sensor and try cleaning it out or should I replace it. I'm wondering because I was reading that the sensor should not be unplugged. Also, I'm suspecting that I could have a bad alternator but after I found a guide on how to test it, it was too late because the car doesn't turn on anymore.

Thanks for taking your time for reading my long post.
Old 06-05-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: P0336 and P0335

Have you ever had the timing belt changed? If not, this would be a very good time to get it done!

Also the harmonic balancer was very lose and the woodruff key was damaged
Almost unbelievable! Has anyone worked on your car in the recent past (Year or so?)

Is the alternator loose? Are there any loose bolts that hold the alternator in?

Do you know how to check the timing marks on your car?

You can remove the crank sensor, no problem, it is the throttle position sensor (TPS) that is a NO TOUCH!.
Old 06-05-2015
Registered!!

No , but I'm planning on doing that. I've been using a DIY guide to get to it because I thought that it snapped but it didn't.

The car is salvage but its been working great for the past 3 years. All I've done was change oil and brakes. Also, the alternator was not loose nor any loose bolts.

I don't know how to check the timing marks on my car.
Old 06-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beantech

I don't know how to check the timing marks on my car.
Keep reading the timing belt DIY
Old 06-15-2015
Registered!!

Ok, so I learned how to read the timing marks. I took off the belt and its looks pretty new. The belt tensioner and water pump look pretty worn out but still in decent shape. I'm planning on changing all of them just for peace of mind.

Also, when I took out the bolt that holds the CKP sensor, it looks like it has magnetic dust. I don't know if that could be what caused the errors to be thrown. How can I go about cleaning this sensor?
Old 06-15-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

it looks like it has magnetic dust.
That's right. It has a magnet inside it.
I don't know if that could be what caused the errors to be thrown.
IMO, no.
How can I go about cleaning this sensor?
If it is a new sensor, wipe it off.
If it's the original sensor, aren't you going to replace it?

Check the wire connector for corrosion of the elect. terminals.
Old 06-15-2015
Registered!!

I checked the wire connector and the pins are slightly yellowing. I don't if that's good or bad. Also, I don't know if the sensor has ever been replaced and I'm not sure if should replace it. Would you recommend replacing it?
Old 06-15-2015

I wouldn't think yellowing is a problem, seems like the ones I've seen with real corrosion look like a powdery green or blue as the terminals corrode away.

If there are no obvious wiring or connection problems seen, I'd do voltmeter tests for the wiring and then probably go with "sensor failure" and replace it with a factory part.