Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Repeating P0139

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Repeating P0139

i am getting P0139 about every other day or so,

my CEL will come on with P0139 for about a day or two, then the light will turn off (on its own) for about a day or two, this cycle has been repeating for about a month,

from what im reading it seems like an O2 sensor issue?
Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Repeating P0139

I was getting P0139 for a while too. I ended up changing the O2 sensor but noticed it would still return.

Turns out there is a Honda TSB about the issue.

www.civicforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77239&d=1252107997

So, it could either be the sensor, or you may need the computer upgrade. The upgrade was about the same cost as the sensor (~$40) so it is a hit or miss on that one. I mean, at least if you buy the sensor you have a new O2 sensor if it doesn't fix the problem.
Old 06-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Post your car info again?
Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Post your car info again?
05 auto special edition 4 door

290,000 km
Old 06-03-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rear O2 sensor -- slow response

That bulletin for software could apply to your car

Rear O2 sensor could be having issues

Exhaust leaks? We had a Hyundai the other day setting the same P0139 code, turned out to have a miniscule exhaust leak (bad gasket) in the joint between the cat and the next pipe that held the rear sensor.
Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

Rear O2 sensor -- slow response

That bulletin for software could apply to your car

Rear O2 sensor could be having issues

Exhaust leaks? We had a Hyundai the other day setting the same P0139 code, turned out to have a miniscule exhaust leak (bad gasket) in the joint between the cat and the next pipe that held the rear sensor.
thanks,

so do you think it is unlikely to be the sensor itself?

is that software update a recall?.....will it be free at a dealer?
Old 06-03-2015

Originally Posted by mikey1
thanks,

so do you think it is unlikely to be the sensor itself?
If I saw your car has the code and the sensor looks old, I'd replace the sensor AND plug our magic software box in and reflash the PCM if possible. One complete job, no comeback.

You know the drill, see who made it the sensor and get the same brand.

is that software update a recall?
Not in the US.
will it be free at a dealer?
You're having that bad dream again. Wake up!
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

If I saw your car has the code and the sensor looks old, I'd replace the sensor AND plug our magic software box in and reflash the PCM if possible. One complete job, no comeback.

You know the drill, see who made it the sensor and get the same brand.

Not in the US.
You're having that bad dream again. Wake up!
thanks,

is it worth trying to clean the sensor?

i have no idea what they go for?
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't heard of anyone actually being able to clean the sensor and have it work properly again.

I got mine off Amazon (Denso brand, works perfectly) for literally $40 bucks. It is the O2 sensor, not the A/F sensor, so it is the cheap one!

You need the special removal tool too, so you can get the wire through the socket. However, I noticed that the sensor was not on too badly believe it or not. You could probably get away with a wrench...

The Denso sensor even comes with a little tube of anti-sieze!

I'm in Canada and I got charged $40 for the software upgrade.... Not terrible I guess...
Old 06-04-2015

^What he said^

is it worth trying to clean the sensor?
No..
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
I haven't heard of anyone actually being able to clean the sensor and have it work properly again.

I got mine off Amazon (Denso brand, works perfectly) for literally $40 bucks. It is the O2 sensor, not the A/F sensor, so it is the cheap one!

You need the special removal tool too, so you can get the wire through the socket. However, I noticed that the sensor was not on too badly believe it or not. You could probably get away with a wrench...

The Denso sensor even comes with a little tube of anti-sieze!

I'm in Canada and I got charged $40 for the software upgrade.... Not terrible I guess...
thanks, i guess i will just buy one
Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

just wondering if there is any chance that bad gas could be causing this,

i have filled up at a different station twice now, and the light has not come back on, it would normally come on every other day or so, now its been a week......i guess i will wait and see
Old 06-10-2015

just wondering if there is any chance that bad gas could be causing this,

i have filled up at a different station twice now, and the light has not come back on, it would normally come on every other day or so, now its been a week......i guess i will wait and see
I would not expect it to be related to fuel quality.
I'd think something like that would show up as a running problem and/or affect the primary sensor instead of affecting only the post-cat sensor.

Just guessing here. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 06-18-2015
Registered!!

I would not expect it to be related to fuel quality.
I'd think something like that would show up as a running problem and/or affect the primary sensor instead of affecting only the post-cat sensor.

Just guessing here. Keep your fingers crossed!
thanks,

its strange, i was getting the code every other day for over a month, and ever since i posted this thread the light has not returned since, over two weeks i believe,