Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rocks in engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vmunoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Rocks in engine

Hello all, I need advice ASAP. My last roommate put rocks in my engine oil jug before I unknowingly added the last quart(ish) to top off. I saw that it was chunky and looked at the funnel which was covered in sand that came from my oil jug.

I never started the car after adding the oil with rocks. I just need advice on how to clean the engine of the rocks and sand. I've been looking online and have come up with nothing. I can't afford to take it in so I'm doing the work myself and a buddy.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rocks in engine

take the valve cover off and see if you can find them in there. My guess is you dropped the funnel in the dirt so the rocks are fairly small. See what you can get out of it and if it seems like a reasonable amount or if you need to take it apart some more.
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

vmunoz is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I didn't drop the funnel in the dirt. I rattled the oil jug that I used and heard rocks in it. I dumped it out and there were so many rocks and dirt in it.
Old 05-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Have said ex-roommate arrested for vandalism?

Remove valve cover and remove oil pan, use a shop-vac to suck out the big chunks, then wash the top portion of the engine with kerosene? I'm really not sure how to go about fixing a disaster like this.....

There are pockets or troughs where oil sits pooled below the camshaft, they keep the rocker arm rollers bathed in oil. IDK if debris could enter one of those (for cyl. #1?) via the oil fill hole but you should check there thoroughly.

I would want to remove the oil pan for this as I would not trust that every last piece of rock dirt or sand would actually exit the drainplug hole. Better safe than sorry.

Don't leave opened or half full jugs of oil laying around?
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending how far you want to go, it might not be a bad idea to yonk the head especially if your timing belt may be due.

Remember it isn't worth it to do something in revenge to your ex roommate sometimes you have to take the high road.
Old 05-30-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Invoice your roommate for one 2001 Civic?
Old 05-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Vandalism

Sabotage

Police

Insurance