Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 civic ex hard to shift into reverse sometimes MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blazz is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 civic ex hard to shift into reverse sometimes MT

I have a problem with reverse grinding when i let the clutch out. if I try to go straight to reverse it will grind 90% of the time but I found out if I go from 1st 2nd 1st again then reverse it will work 1st try most of the time.

I've looked all over the web only to find others with more shifting tricks that work for them.

I am trying to get to the problem of this and hoping someone can help me get there. Shifting into reverse like this is a pain,

More info..

Just bought car.. had the problem from day one

All other gears shift fine.

Drained oil (looked new) and filled it with Lucas Oil, this ether helped our I just got better at it.

Looked at linkage to find out its a cable(my last car for 7 years was a 97)

Engine was replaced I was told a year ago.

This is the main problem I'm having, I fix most of the problems I knew of b4 I bought it,, I just welded a new floor board and seat bracket.. do to rust but the rest of the car is rust free and clean

Thank you for reading about my problem.
Old 05-25-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2002 civic ex hard to shift into reverse sometimes MT

So it just pops out of reverse because it isn't securely in gear unless you shift it into another gear first? Yeah, mine does that too. I've gotten used to it over the years and I can tell when it's "in" or not.
Old 05-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They get that way......

It may help if you keep firm pressure on the shifter with your hand as you start to let the clutch out and it will usually pop the rest of the way into the gear.
Old 05-25-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

There's actually a paragraph in my owner's manual about MT and reverse.

"Push down the clutch pedal, and pause for a few seconds before shifting into Reverse, or shift into one of the forward gears for a moment. This stops the gears so they won't "grind.""

Every vehicle I've ever owned seems reverse is a touchy gear. Generally I've only ever owned 10 year old vehicles so I don't know if it's better when the vehicle is new or not.
Old 05-25-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes when I shift into reverse I get a slight "grinding" noise, though it sounds more like a noisy bearing or something, rather than actual gear on gear.....

When that happens, the car doesn't actually go into reverse, just sits....

I just put it in neutral, release the clutch, push back in and shift and it always goes....

"Push down the clutch pedal, and pause for a few seconds before shifting into Reverse, or shift into one of the forward gears for a moment. This stops the gears so they won't "grind.""
Right; remember, there is no synchro for reverse and you engage the direct driving gear....
Old 05-25-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,147 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

From what I'm to understand, it's fairly common in honda transmissions. Shift it into first, back to neutral, then I to reverse.
Old 05-25-2015
Registered!!

It will ether go into reverse or grind. It will grind almost every time unless you really work the stick first. Clutching slow has no effect. Popping out off gear is not a problem at all. I knew about all the tricks. I just can't let it go.. I need to fix it

With my 97 I can feel it click down into reverse never have a problem with it.

Anyone know what would fix the problem? I see it has a cable shift linkage,
I read that they can get damaged easily, I'm wondering about the installation of the new engine b4 I bought the car.
Its ether the linkage or problem with in the Tran.
Old 05-25-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the clutch not fully releasing?
Old 05-25-2015
Registered!!

That was my first test, the clutch feels good when I'm pushing the clutch down its disengagement is b4 the half way down point, there is plenty more room b4 i hit the floor. Clutch is strong no slip in clutch or pressure plate.

But I should start with bleeding the clutch to make sure, maybe its a clutch master cylinder or the clutch it self but I have been in that boat b4. Not the same, not at all

Last edited by Blazz; 05-25-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2015

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Is it play in your shifter? When I bought my 99 the PO was rough with the shifter and had actually ground the shifter bushings. I could put it in 3rd and move the stick as far as 1st and 5th.
Old 05-26-2015

It will ether go into reverse or grind. It will grind almost every time unless you really work the stick first. Clutching slow has no effect.
How about if you wait a couple seconds? Push the clutch pedal to the floor and wait a couple seconds THEN engage reverse and see if it grinds.

I'm thinking if you try to shove it in reverse before the spinning input shaft has had sufficient time to stop, it will grind.
Sticking the lever into a forward gear also stops the shaft from spinning, and since forward gears have synchronizers you don't hear them grind as they engage..

If it still wants to grind after waiting several seconds....I might suspect the clutch disc may be dragging, maybe the input shaft splines need lubed so the disc can fall away from the flywheel when the pressure plate pulls away
Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

If it still wants to grind after waiting several seconds....I might suspect the clutch disc may be dragging, maybe the input shaft splines need lubed so the disc can fall away from the flywheel when the pressure plate pulls away
Looks like you found the problem, I've was playing with it when the car was off. And I realize it click down into reverse every time with the car off, the stick will go further down with a nice click like my old civic.

When the car is on it feels like its not going down all the way, even when I do get it to go into reverse it don't feel right.

So you think if I pull the tran it may just need to b lubed
Old 05-29-2015

Well, I'd want to be pretty dang sure this is gonna be a fix before I go to a lot of work and trouble.

Yes it would need pulled to access the splines of the input shaft.

May be possible to just pull it away from the engine far enough for access without dropping it and the subframe all the way out?

Clean the splines first.
I'd use Hondas Urea grease for the splines.
Thin layer.
You don't want grease getting thrown off and contaminate the clutch lining.

I'd also make sure the snout is lubed where the throwout bearing rides,
and possibly lube the tip of the input shaft if the setup uses a bronze pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. (I did not look to see which type this uses)

EDIT: Oh yeah lube the ball pivot in the picture, and you can lube the tip of the slave cylinder pushrod too.

Old 05-29-2015

And if you pull it out, check splines for wear or damage. If it's been living without any lube at all, the input shaft splines could be worn and causing the disc to hang up or catch instead of sliding back freely that necessary couple of millimeters.

HTH
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

I have been shifting into reverse with the car off and it seem to work 80% of the time. But there is the 20% that it don't work,

It seems to be a bit.ch to get into reverse with car on or off at these times. I can say the pop out of reverse is a problem that is starting to be a new to me but only when I try shifting with it off then starting,,

it pops out when backing up at the store, I get half way out of my parking spot then pop and grind.. at that point I'm getting looks from others as Im try to shifting 1st 2nd Reverse grrrrrr. Then grrrrr. Grrrrr.

F ing sucks, nice car nice paint job, just siting there grrrrr, and I need to put back into 1st to drive back into my parking spot in shame ,

I'm just going to post up a video of my problem when I get the time this weekend. I'm no noob to civic and I have the tools and Friends ready to give a helping hand to pull tran.. but I still got the linkage problem in the back of my head as a possible problem. I AM a noob to the 7th gen cable linkage for sure.

Last edited by Blazz; 06-04-2015 at 01:29 AM.