Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car suddenly loses power please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shakzhussain is an unknown quantity at this point
Car suddenly loses power please help

Hi basically I have a Honda Civic ep2 facelift 1.6 2003. Back in March I adjusted the throttle cable and after doing so suddenly my car would lose power by that I mean I would do my biting point as usual then realise my gas is not working for a few seconds like it would not respond but the car would not stall after a couple of seconds it was back to normal. So I unadjusted the throttle cable hoping it would fix it which it did for a few weeks but just the other day it happened again and I don't know what to do where to start this never used to happen before adjusting the throttle cable. I thinks it is fuel related and that fuel filter is clogged up. My engine light does not come up either so it doesn't seem electrical although my catalytic converted needs changing but that was since last year so I don't think it's that. Can somebody help me please thank you ☺️

Last edited by Shakzhussain; 05-14-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 05-14-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car suddenly loses power please help

Well...
You can get your OBDII scanned to make sure there are no hidden codes/ check your emission status
You can check your fuel filter
Clean your throttle body

What adjustment did you make to your throttle cable?
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

I have done that no hidden codes my engine lights goes off for cat converter every time I have got on the highway doing more then 50mph then I just reset the light. The fuel filter is hard to reach so I will just get it changed soon by Honda and I have cleaned the throttle body and spark plugs changed last week. Thank you for your reply much appreciated
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Bare in mind this problem is intermittent happens once everyb2 weeks or so, so it is hard to pin point for me thanks
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

Where do you get your gas and is there signs of water in your fuel tank? Water tends to dampen the spark making the car bog down. over the years I ran into similar situations when I was forced to use inferior gas or fill up during or after a storm. Try a gas dryer like Heet or a cleaner like Lucas top end lubricant or STP injector cleaner every other tank full. I need to get some for my 2001 Civic.
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

How do I check for water in fuel tank? And I am considering fuel system cleaners but heard bad things about them so I'm stuck
Old 05-15-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

I always keep a stock of LubeControl's FP Plus on hand, but you can't go wrong with buying some Techron additive. Also using top-tier gas as much as possible helps too.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

I apologise I don't understand what you mean by FP as I'm from the UK London so we may call them something else here mind if I ask what they are? Thanks and I do use BP Fuel and fuel from Shell
Old 05-16-2015
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shakzhussain
I don't understand what you mean by FP as I'm from the UK London so we may call them something else here mind if I ask what they are?
It's a fuel additive that I use with EVERY tank.
http://www.lubecontrol.com/

Originally Posted by Shakzhussain
Thanks and I do use BP Fuel and fuel from Shell
That's definitely top tier. Nice!
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

Take a sample from the fuel line that leads to the injectors. If you see separation or foam on top of the gas you have water I've seen a few cars with a see through inline fuel filters in the engine bay.