Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear upper control arm bushing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bryden13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear upper control arm bushing replacement?

I have a 2002 Honda civic that i just bought and i need to replace the the rear upper control arm bushings to get it saftied. my mechanic told me it was easy and that i could do it in myself.. I am having one hell of a time getting the new outer bushing in. My first thought is that it was not the right one but I don't think that's the case. The bushing is is rubber with a metal cylinder around it and the the metal part is what doesnt seem to fit. I have been using a vice to try and push it in but do I need a shop press to get it in? any help is very appreciated.
Old 05-12-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Rear upper control arm bushing replacement?

Thread moved.

This DIY:

http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9189

In the DIY he uses a C Clamp, looks like a ball joint kind of clamp.

A shop press would make it easier.
Old 05-13-2015
Registered!!

Okay thanks that helped a little but my biggest problem i just realized now, the new bushing came with a metal liner around it which I thought weird because the old one didnt have one. I just came to my head that there may be the old metal liner left in the hole. turns out i was right and it is still in there. I just didnt notice it before. Anyways now Im having a hell of a time getting it out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated also any tips on how to remove it with the rest of the bushing on the other side from the start so I dont have to deal with this again.

This is the outer bushing on the rear upper control arm. the bushing closer to the brake hub.

Last edited by bryden13; 05-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That is similiar to the one on the front control arm bushing. It also has a metal ring in it. I was able to get mine out with a sawzall (carefully). You could use a hacksaw to cut it out. Dremel would work with the correct bit.

You don't need to cut all the way through but get it close and use a hammer and chisel to knock it out.
Old 05-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
That is similiar to the one on the front control arm bushing. It also has a metal ring in it. I was able to get mine out with a sawzall (carefully). You could use a hacksaw to cut it out. Dremel would work with the correct bit.

You don't need to cut all the way through but get it close and use a hammer and chisel to knock it out.
yeah that's what i had to end up doing. i didn't want to use any power tools to avoid cutting further than the metal lining. If you hacksaw about 90% of the way through then take a hammer and a punch (or a flat head) and try to smash on one side of the cut it will eventually snap and fold in over top of itself and should pop out easily from there. Thanks for the help guys.