Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loss of (engine)power.

Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbradley4809 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loss of (engine)power.

Hey guys, thanks in advance!

Today my 01 civic lost all power, couldn't get above 2000-2500RPMS or like 10mph on flat surface. I was going down the highway on my way to work, cruising at ~70mph and I felt a little "disconnect" dont know what else to call it and all the sudden no matter how hard I pushed on the pedal I was losing speed. So I started to pull onto the shoulder and the car stalled. I was able to pop it in neutral, restart the car, and get past the construction (no shoulder) and off the next exit. I stopped the car and it was idling realllly rough. So I shut it down, gave it like 2mins and tried to start, it cranked, turned over, stalled. Did that about 3x before I got it to stay on. Went to accelerate and couldn't get the car moving at all, 2000-2500rpms max! I drove to the trans shop (about 3 blocks from the exit) like that thinking it was an issue with the rebuild I had done 6month ago. CEL is on; EGR code that's been present for 6+ months (I know! procrastination!) and there was a TDC code but pending (I know 3x in a cycle before it will set.) So, by the time I was done talking and the guy wanted to test drive it, it was working normally again....I got back on the highway to head to work, and about 20miles later, it did it again. This time would NOT restart for about 10 tries, ran rough, no power again. No codes besides a torque converter code (which has no coralation and faulty piece will be replaced this week). I'm leaning, based on some internet research, TDC sensor? Anyone with any other opinions before I start throwing money at this car? Please? Help?
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Loss of (engine)power.

Originally Posted by jbradley4809
TDC code but pending
That's probably your problem but it should still throw a code for it. If the TDC looses signal then the car goes into limp and acts as you have described. Sometimes you can cut the car off and turn it back on again and it will work. But sounds like you may need to check/replace the sensor, you should have CEL code for it if that's the problem. Everytime it happened to mine I had a code for it.

Essentially what happens is the sensor goes out so the ECM no longer knows if it's on the correct timing so it runs in limp mode to try and save the engine from any major damage.
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

I'm not sure if it threw the code or not cause I took it to the trans shop who worked on it and that guy pulled the codes and only told me about the torque converter code and I was too pissed off (cause I just rebuild the engine; Headgasket, water pump, timing belt, had heads shaved, etc about 20k miles (~9months ago) and the trans 6 months ago, and the radiator last week (that blew on me but didn't drive it hot afterwards, etc). So i'm a little frustrated I just thought I caught a break and than bam this happened today. (210k miles)
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Finally got a buddy to bring his scanner for me, didn't want to drive and risk more damage, both p1361 and p1362 (TDC codes) are present. I'll replace the stupid sensor tomorrow and hope, for once in the past year, without a damn issue! (EGR next to be replaced, just procrastinating)
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

might want to also check your alternator belt and make sure it's tight.

i replaced the head gasket on my car. tightening the alternator tension bolt but didn't tighten down the alternator to the engine. Got a TDC error at high RPMs. One two different occasions. Then blew out the ECM. I suspect that if the alternator belt is properly tensioned then at higher RPMs it starts slipping and putting out weird voltage. So twice it tried to tell me something was wrong and then the 3rd time the voltage was off enough to blow out the ECM.

Just a theory though.
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

I'll check that for sure just cause you mentioned it. Never had the issue till this past week and i'm pretty sure that belts fine, can't say I actually "checked" it recently though.
Old 09-18-2016
Registered!!

CRXTILLIDIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jbradley4809
Hey guys, thanks in advance!

Today my 01 civic lost all power, couldn't get above 2000-2500RPMS or like 10mph on flat surface. I was going down the highway on my way to work, cruising at ~70mph and I felt a little "disconnect" dont know what else to call it and all the sudden no matter how hard I pushed on the pedal I was losing speed...
Did your ever solve this issue?
Perhaps your timing belt slipped.= my 2 cents
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Beck Stacy is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly a camshaft position sensor, from what I'm thinking.
Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

Honda361 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a similar problem with my 2002 Honda Civic ex vtech 4 cylinder 1.7 liter... I recently just changed my cylinder head and after putting everything back on I crank it and it starts with no problem.. I revers with great power but when I put it in drive it revs up to 3000rpms and take a while till car starts moving but if I drop it in D2 it takes off great (and it's a automatic transmission) and I shift it all the way to drive.. it's like the drive gear is stuck in 3rd gear or something but after I get going for a lil while it shuts done meaning it loses acceleration and I can't get it higher then 15 mph can someone help me
Old 04-07-2017
Registered!!

Ndnboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sons 01 just pooped yesterday, reffed up no power and pulled off road, he said he was able to restart, placed in gear and it wanted to go but he didnt feel confident about it, had it towed home and hope to get a scanner on it soon......its got about 112K and has been throwing the TC code...... Hope its something thats not gonna drain the wallet...