Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Valve Stem Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runner88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve Stem Seal Replacement

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX, burning oil only on start up after sitting for several hours. How do I do this, I have valve cover off and now I'm at the rockers. Can't seem to find exact instruction on how to remove these, anyone got a link to an article or can give direction from here? Would be very much appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Valve Stem Seal Replacement

I would pull the head and let a machine shop do the valve stem seals......IF I thought that were the problem.

But.....
Most oil burning problems in these engines are caused by stuck oil rings. Rering it while the head is off.

HTH
Old 04-25-2015
Registered!!

Valve rocker removal

I have a 2001 honda civic ex, with a d17 engine, how do I remove the valve rockers?
Old 04-25-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Valve rocker removal

Unbolt the shafts?
Old 04-25-2015
Registered!!

But put it in TDC first right?
Old 04-25-2015

Sure.

What are you going to do after getting those rockers off?

If you don't know what you are doing, I suggest you don't do it.....
At least not without a lot of careful study and an appropriate service manual.
And the correct tools to do the job.

And if you read your other post, I believe your engine needs rings.
Old 04-26-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to remove the head anyways to replace them, wouldn't you?

I haven't found a way to reinstall the valve spring retrainers/keepers without the big *** c-clamp valve spring compressor, and that has to go all the way around the head (pushes against valve on the cylinder side, compresses spring on the rocker side). Gotta remove those just to get to the valve stem seals.
Old 04-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

It can be done with the head on but it is a night mare. They have spring compressors that work just on the spring, but there may not be enough room to use it. I didn't on mine. If you can block the valve from moving, (rope in the cylinder or something, you can use a deep well socket to press the spring down then use an antenna magnet through the back of the socket to grab the retainers.
It will take you hours to reinstall though. Much easier to have a shop do it as ezone said.
Old 03-01-2023
Registered!!

Minntana is an unknown quantity at this point

I was browsing this thread and didn’t see anything about actually removing the valve stem seals. Everything I can see online suggests they either pull off with pliers or can be pried up with a screwdriver. I tried both ways and they didn’t seem to budge. The videos make it look like they slide right up without much force but mine don’t. My chilton manual doesn’t even mention the procedure.
Do I just need to use more force or am I missing something? Just worried about wrecking something.
Old 03-01-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

This is all that's in the service manual. They should pull right off with some force. Shows a special tool being used.

The following users liked this post:
Minntana (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

To remove them, I used a pair of ViseGrip groove lock pliers and a lot of "gentle" force and wiggling to get it off. I didn't find a way to take them off non-destructively, at least with regards to the valve seals. Just be careful not to damage the valve guide itself

To install them, I used my thumb and they clicked in place just fine. I didn't use any special tools for removal or installation