Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Was it just a lose hose (HELP)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deus-ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Was it just a lose hose (HELP)?

Hi I have a 2003 Civic EX with nearly 250,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been on for years. I had a $2,000 head-gasket job done about 4 years ago.

About a year ago it started to have trouble, eating coolant and such. I checked the onboard codes, it said all 4 cylinders were misfiring. I replaced the spark plugs and a couple of the ignition coils -- no change.

Last week it started overheating all of a sudden. I would add coolant, and it would go a couple days, then overheating again.

Then I noticed that this tiny hose that connects right nearby the radiator cap had come lose. I attached it and now it seems to run like a charm. I never go over 50-55 mph, and I always accelerate very slowly.

Do you think this car is okay? It it ****ed or is it all in my head? The guy at firestone said he'd "be surprised if it lasts a month." He said that 7 months ago.

The reason that I ask is that I need to make a long (8 hr) drive and I was wondering how you think it will hold up under these conditions.
Old 04-13-2015
Zed
Registered!!

Zed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Was it just a lose hose (HELP)?

Headgasket has gone. Replace it.
Old 04-13-2015
Registered!!

blacklud is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Was it just a lose hose (HELP)?

Originally Posted by deus-ex
Hi I have a 2003 Civic EX with nearly 250,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been on for years. I had a $2,000 head-gasket job done about 4 years ago.

About a year ago it started to have trouble, eating coolant and such. I checked the onboard codes, it said all 4 cylinders were misfiring. I replaced the spark plugs and a couple of the ignition coils -- no change.

Last week it started overheating all of a sudden. I would add coolant, and it would go a couple days, then overheating again.

Then I noticed that this tiny hose that connects right nearby the radiator cap had come lose. I attached it and now it seems to run like a charm. I never go over 50-55 mph, and I always accelerate very slowly.

Do you think this car is okay? It it ****ed or is it all in my head? The guy at firestone said he'd "be surprised if it lasts a month." He said that 7 months ago.

The reason that I ask is that I need to make a long (8 hr) drive and I was wondering how you think it will hold up under these conditions.
that tiny hose goes to the reservoir tank, you would definately be able to tell if you were losing alot of coolant through the hose/rad fitting, look around that area and see if you notice any dry/wet coolant.

What usually happens when you have a bad head gasket is the pressure inside the engine (pistons moving up and down) come into contact with coolant, the pressure is so strong that it will pop that tiny hose off the rad fitting, if that doesn't happen, it may pop the cap off of the reservoir tank when the hose is connected.

8 hour drive?? I wouldn't risk it.