Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic 2001 issue with the blower fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ftareen is an unknown quantity at this point
civic 2001 issue with the blower fan

I have a civic 2001 and facing a strange issue with the blower fan

- For the last few month, sometimes when I switch on the blower fan it does not work/start right away
- I tried changing speeds and all that but it will still not work, then all of sudden it will start
- I read some forums and people suggested that I should take out the in cabin filters and try rotating the fan and see if it needs a kick start. I did that but that did not help.
- Previously this would happen once in a few months but now its happening once a day.
- I am suspecting its not blower motor, because the fan does start working after sometime.
- Is it motor resistor going bad?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 civic temperature issues....

Originally Posted by ftareen
sometimes when I switch on the blower fan it does not work/start right away
When it won't run on its own--- leave it turned on and go to the passengers side of the dash: Smack the bottom of the fan motor with your hand. If it then begins to run, the fan motor is bad.

EDIT: Moved to a new thread
Old 03-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ftareen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: civic 2001 issue with the blower fan

@ezone: Tried that. Even remove the filters and tried kick starting the fan (while the switch was in on position) by rotating the fan manually. Did not work
Old 03-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: civic 2001 issue with the blower fan

You rotated it by hand to no avail, but did you hit it? Hard?

If you can't jar it into running.......Next step for me would be to test for both power and ground at the fan motor connector, determine if one or the other is missing.
Then maybe if that answer leads me in a direction, grab wire diagram and proceed from that point.