Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Can't line up alternator bolt...help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015
200,000 and counting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the rough
Can't line up alternator bolt...help?

Upper (pivot) bolt in no problem. The lower alternator hole won't line up with the arm that holds the locknut. The alternator won't line up throughout the range of motion, from the top of the bracket to the bottom. What did I screw up? Name:  72gdMyD.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  38.3 KB

Last edited by thesushiboy; 03-29-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Re pic
Old 03-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't line up alternator bolt...help?

Loosen the OTHER bolt holding that bracket.
The following users liked this post:
ExplorerXLT (10-25-2021)
Old 03-29-2015
200,000 and counting

thesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone

I'll just show myself out.
Old 06-20-2019
Registered!!

MW650 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my 1st time ever using a site like this so sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I realize this is 4 years old but I am having the same issue. I replaced my head gasket and got everything put back together (including the alternator) and realized I hadn't set my timing. So I took everything back apart to set the timing and now getting the alternator back on looks like the picture above. If I loosen every single bolt holding the motor mount and alternator to the block then I can manage it however, I cant access the bolts under the alternator to the mount.
Old 06-21-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

remove alternator again, loosen the bolt of the bracket
Old 06-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MW650
This is my 1st time ever using a site like this so sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I realize this is 4 years old but I am having the same issue. I replaced my head gasket and got everything put back together (including the alternator) and realized I hadn't set my timing. So I took everything back apart to set the timing and now getting the alternator back on looks like the picture above. If I loosen every single bolt holding the motor mount and alternator to the block then I can manage it however, I cant access the bolts under the alternator to the mount.
There is a 14MM bolt on the slotted bracket holding it down that you need to loosen. No need to take it out, just loosen it enough that the bracket moves up and down freely. This will give you enough movement in the bracket to line it up and get the bolt in the alternator. Let us know if you need more help
Old 06-21-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Ensure you tighten that bolt back up afterwards or you may be replacing the ECU sooner than you'd like.
Old 06-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Ensure you tighten that bolt back up afterwards or you may be replacing the ECU sooner than you'd like.
You are right! Electricity takes the path of least resistance. If the alternator doesn't have a good ground to the engine, the path of least resistance becomes the control wiring. The ECU wouldn't appreciate being forced to eat the entire output of the alternator.
Old 10-25-2021
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ExplorerXLT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you thank you thank you! Just spent 2 hours arguing with this same problem!
The following users liked this post:
ezone (10-31-2021)