Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL P0301 '01 LX 131K miles M/T 1.7L

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wehrd1 is an unknown quantity at this point
CEL P0301 '01 LX 131K miles M/T 1.7L

I searched the forums, but wanted to give this particular cars issues and when/how they came about.

this is my spare car, and it has been in use for about a week, as my daily driver (100mi r/t commute), while my real daily driver (92 Civic VX 5spd h/b, 329K miles) is having some body work done. Thanks to a white tail deer strike that buggered the front fender into the tire, and when i hit a bump in the road, would scrape the tire.

This '01 was running like a dream since put back in use for the last week. Is on 1/4 tank of fuel from 2nd fill up since put back in use. (it sat for several months unused until last week) Stopped at a traffic light this morning, and i noticed rough idle. Drove an add'l 5 miles to work, and CEL flashed. Just barely saw it, as it occurred as i was parking in the lot.

Left work, CEL was on solid, except at idle, while at stop lights then it flashes, until under load, then goes solid. Had the code pulled - P0301.

I'm a TOTAL novice, but my mechanic SIL is looking at it tomorrow. Please point us in the right direction to try, before I start throwing unneeded $$$ at it.

I also found the 7th gen online service manual, and have downloaded it for his use, jic it's needed.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by wehrd1; 03-27-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CEL P0301 '01 LX 131K miles M/T 1.7L

Got freeze frame data to go along with the code pull?

2001, with how many miles?
Last valve adjustment was_____?

Compression test, then evaluate and assess results?
Old 03-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Got freeze frame data to go along with the code pull?

2001, with how many miles?
Last valve adjustment was_____?

Compression test, then evaluate and assess results?

hopefully my SIL has a tool that can capture freeze frame data. if so, will post results when he stops over to check it for me.
131k miles
i have no idea when/if last valve adjustment was done.
Old 03-27-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Checked plugs yet?
Swap plugs and coils to other cylinders to see if the miss moves?

If it's missing at idle and it's an extremely consistent miss then a compression test would probably be in order.
Old 03-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Checked plugs yet?
Swap plugs and coils to other cylinders to see if the miss moves?

If it's missing at idle and it's an extremely consistent miss then a compression test would probably be in order.
that's what he said he was going to try first, swapping to see if code moves.

if his driveway diagnostic points to or eliminates a more involved issue, then he'll be taking it to his shop.

thanks for your input thus far. I've pointed him to this thread. He worked on my daughters 95 DX and did a head gasket R&R, when it blew, and had head machined, and did a oil pan gasket replace. so he's not a civic novice anymore.

hopefully with the link to the 7th gen service manual, he'll work through this as well. he'll get his trial by fire because my family has 5 civics. 2 5th gens, 1 6th gen, 1 7th gen and now a 9th gen. we also have 2 honda gl1800 goldwings.

i think we should be in a Honda commercial
Old 03-27-2015

test would probably be in order. .
that's what he said he was going to try first, swapping to see if code moves.

if his driveway diagnostic points to or eliminates a more involved issue, then he'll be taking it to his shop.
Sounds like he should have a handle on the situation fairly quick.
Old 03-30-2015
Registered!!

what are the specs on cylinder compression on this car? he can test them, but would like to know spec

He's doing this on his own time, is why the thread waits until he can get to it.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015

Specs? Pffft.

How about real world numbers: Using my own (trusted) equipment and using my methods, I expect to see about 180 PSI or higher.
Old 04-01-2015
Registered!!

He didn't have to do a compression test. he R&R'd the coil pack on cyl#1 and R&R'd all the plugs with the NGKs and the car runs great! no code on the 6 mile trip home.

hopefully, it will continue to do so

Thanks all