Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Input Shaft Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mdbrewer is an unknown quantity at this point
Input Shaft Bearing

Hi Everyone,

Longtime lurker and first time poster. I'm really looking for some help with an issue that has developed on my Civic 1.6 vtec sport. Ive been told that i need new gearbox bearings (i have the dreaded whine when the cars at a standstill and in neutral). Think is the input shaft bearing thats shot.

The cars probably only worth around to 2-2.5 k now (101,000 miles on the clock) but have been quoted £1,300 to sort this out by a Honda dealer. Given that this is a common problem - im edging towards getting a reconditioned box - to make things slightly cheaper whilst still getting a warranty.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the problem in the south east - and could advise what they did/recommend a dealer that sorted the problem out?

Im not cash rich at the moment so i want to do it as cheaply as possible really - without risking that anything brought from a scrappy might have the same issue!

Any help would be massively appreciated.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Input Shaft Bearing

Is this a manual shift transmission?
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

mdbrewer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Is this a manual shift transmission?
Sorry yes it is!
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Typically when you have to replace the input shaft bearring you will also do several other things so as to avoid having to tear it down again just to pay for labor all over again.

100k miles is not very much, so you may be under-valuing your car just a bit, but anyway, it cost me about $2200 to do the input shaft bearring, neutral bearring, re-condition flywheel and some other misc stuff.

To be honset, just buy new parts... The cost in this job is the labor!! Yea, you can save a couple hundred bucks, but when you are spending 10x that on the job itself, what's the difference? Also, it would suck when you have to re-open the darn thing AGAIN to replace the reconditioned parts anyway.

I did mine at Honda here in Canada; can't help you with where to go, other than, go to Honda..... or someone else equally qualified at working on transmissions and drivetrain components.