Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic EX Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orphanfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic EX Overheating

So, I've had this Civic for about a month, and one day on a two hour ride home, it began to overheat. I pulled over and noticed the reservoir and that little overflow tank thing was dry, so I filled them both with water. The problem then seemed resolve. Until I decided to drive back to school. I checked the water, filled it. Checked the oil, it was fine. No leaks, nada.

An hour into the drive, bam. Overheat. Pull over, refill, and so on. It does this about every 45 minutes of driving now, and I have to refill the water every time before I turn the car on.

I noticed that there's a cap missing. Not the metal thing for the reservoir, but rather the overflow tank. Now that I think about it, that cap's been missing since the first time it overheated. I thought about purchasing a new one, but I'm not sure if that'd resolve the problem. So, I've come to you lot to see if that'd be the problem.

With my logic, the reservoir would pull coolant or water from the overflow using pressure. Absent a cap, there would be a lack of pressure, so the water/coolant wouldn't be able to get to where it's supposed to go. Is my thinking correct, or?

ANY help would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Civic EX Overheating

Cooling system leak and/or head gasket leakage
Loss of coolant leads to overheating, overheating leads to severe engine damage including head gasket and head problems, and more.