Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CKP Sensor Location

Old 03-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guitard00d is an unknown quantity at this point
CKP Sensor Location

This 2004 Civic Si is really starting to irk me because I can Google stuff till I'm blue in the face and everything I find online is for a 1.7L engine. It's like my engine barely exists.

Got a car that cranks and cranks and backfires while sounding like it's about ready to run whenever it's less than freezing outside, any other time it just starts up. A guy told me that I have an intermittent crank position sensor since I just replaced my fuel pump and verified that my PGM-FI relays are just fine.

The service manual for my car only has vague drawings in there, I honestly can't tell where this diagram is trying to draw my attention. Can anybody tell me exactly where this sensor is?
Old 03-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CKP Sensor Location

A guy told me that I have an intermittent crank position sensor
How the ehll did anyone decide something like that?
Got fault codes that lead to that answer? Got proof? Is spark inconsistent?

Test, don't guess. Guessing can be expensive.

since I just replaced my fuel pump
Was it bad? They have been extremely reliable here.

Is this a new problem JUST since you replaced the pump?

and everything I find online is for a 1.7L engine. It's like my engine barely exists.
And in Canada their Si is the same as our EX with the 1.7 engine.
The 2.0 is much rarer than the 1.7 by comparison.

Got a car that cranks and cranks and backfires while sounding like it's about ready to run whenever it's less than freezing outside, any other time it just starts up.
How do the plugs look?
Does it lack sufficient fuel when this happens? Is it getting too much fuel when this happens?

Fuel pump and CKP would be pretty far down on my list of possibilities.
I might be looking on a good scanner at sensors that influence fuel injection quantity.

CKP Sensor Location
*sigh*

Backside of engine down low
near crank pulley in timing cover
near axle CV boot

#3 in the timing cover diagram

HTH
Old 03-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guitard00d is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced the pump because I couldn't buy just the filter alone and the filter is actually the top part of the pump. I also replaced it because the regulator is part of the pump and couldn't buy it separately. My fuel pressure was only reading about 37psi, and with the filter & regulator not being sold separately, I pretty much had to bite the $255 bullet and buy the pump.

Plugs and coils are all brand new. I also removed and manually cleaned all of my injectors a couple weeks ago. The problem with the car cranking and cranking with random backfires (and "almost starts") is about a year old, but has finally just gotten so bad that I have to do something or start looking for a job that I can walk to.

It definitely has to be an ignition issue because after an hour of fighting this endless cranking and backfiring, I can faintly smell gas when I lift the hood. I've seen other things online ( such as this site -> http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...crank-sensor-1 ) where they say an intermittent crank position sensor won't throw a code, but the car will exhibit the same problems that I'm experiencing.

Just out of curiosity, where in the world did you find that diagram? I've been looking for things like that forever and I get nothing. As I said, it's as if my engine doesn't even exist.
Old 03-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitard00d

Just out of curiosity, where in the world did you find that diagram? I've been looking for things like that forever and I get nothing. As I said, it's as if my engine doesn't even exist.
Parts catalog.

Please update if the CKP fixes your problem!