Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help me diagnose this sound!

Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trellex is an unknown quantity at this point
Help me diagnose this sound!

First time post! This place has tonnes of information, but I can't seem to find anything that sounds like this terrible rattling:
https://vimeo.com/119706824

Now, this sound used to be alot quieter, but up until this last week, it's been getting worse and worse. Symptoms include:
1) it's very noticeable on idle now, but as soon as it rev's past ~2000 rpms, the noise disappears.
2) The sound definitely comes from the internal of the engine.
3) After running for about 15 or so minutes, the sound lessens a lot, but doesn't go away. About a week or so ago, it did quieten down enough that I couldn't hear it.

Any suggestions as to what it could be, would really help me out!

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help me diagnose this sound!

holy crap.....not good whatever it is,

possibilities are endless, pop the valve cover, if your lucky it will be something in the valve train and not in the bottom end, stiff, stuck, or broken valve/spring? damaged valve thats not fully closing?

good luck!
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Awesome, I'll make sure to do that. Are there any links out there on how to pop that open?
Old 02-19-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Almost sounds like when I developed some rod knock. Pull the vtec solenoid and look at the screen. Mine was almost completely clogged eith metal flakes.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Almost sounds like when I developed some rod knock. Pull the vtec solenoid and look at the screen. Mine was almost completely clogged eith metal flakes.
Do you have any diagrams, tutorials or videos of where I could find the solenoid?
Old 02-20-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The VTEC solenoid is #9 on the drawing. Well, the assembly encircled by #9. The screen I speak of is #10, which is a rubber gasket/o-ring with the screen in the middle of the 3 ellipses. It's attached by 3 bolts accessible from the rear of the engine. May be kind of hard to get to, but other than access to the bolts, it's rather easy to remove.

actual view of the VTEC solenoid, courtesy of ezone
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4649242

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-20-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
actual view of the VTEC solenoid, courtesy of ezone
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4649242
Thanks! I'll look into this over the next few days! I think it might be a bit easier for me to get at as I have CAI, but either way, should be fun.

If that is the case, there being metal flakes in the catch, what should I do after that?