Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL, is it the o2/ air fuel sensor? 2005 civic Ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tylerb3625 is an unknown quantity at this point
CEL, is it the o2/ air fuel sensor? 2005 civic Ex

I have a 2005 civic EX coupe. I got the codes below from auto zone, Im assuming it's the 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2, where is the sensor located? the exhaust manifold is not the one with the built in cat. Is the sensor in the code the upstream or downstream sensor?

P1457

P0139

P0420
Old 02-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CEL, is it the o2/ air fuel sensor? 2005 civic Ex

Originally Posted by Tylerb3625
I have a 2005 civic EX coupe. I got the codes below from auto zone, Im assuming it's the 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2, where is the sensor located? the exhaust manifold is not the one with the built in cat. Is the sensor in the code the upstream or downstream sensor?
P1457
EVAP system leakage, canister system

P0139
O2 sensor B1S2 slow response. Rearmost sensor, the one stuck in the side of the cat or after the cat.

Pull yours out and see who made it. It will be NTK or DENSO. Use the original brand sensor. Go to that manufacturers website and look up the correct part number for that sensor for your car.

Don't let the Zoo sell you Bosch.

P0420
Cat code. Probably a bad cat but you need to fix the bad O2 sensor first and see if the cat code returns.
Old 02-06-2015
Registered!!

okay so start with the sensor? also with the p1457 code, they were saying it needed smoke tested? Should I have it smoke tested?

Attached a pictures of the codes and definitions http://s292.photobucket.com/user/Tyl...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Tylerb3625; 02-06-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

okay so start with the sensor? also with the p1457 code, they were saying it needed smoke tested? Should I have I smoke tested?
I don't seem to have good luck with smoke testing. Maybe it's just me, IDK. I usually do better with hands-on.

First I use my scanner to activate each solenoid and listen for the CLICK.

The typical failure I commonly see is the CVS valve bad or leaking, but there are other possible causes. Chasing EVAP codes can be a hair pulling experience.

Here's a pic of something that is becoming more common as the cars rust to death: CVS valve rusting apart and leaking externally:

Name:  ppMXS55l.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  MfQguaLl.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  57.4 KB

These were taken after the canister was removed from the car and pressurized with about 1 PSI, and I sprayed soapy water on the whole thing so the leak would bubble.

You can see how rusty it is, there's almost nothing left of the screws that hold it to the canister. If the screws can't break loose, the canister will need to be replaced too.

Attached a pictures of the codes and definitions http://s292.photobucket.com/user/Tyl...?sort=3&page=1
They listed gas cap, but the EVAP code you have isn't caused by a gas cap, that would give P1456.
Old 02-07-2015
Registered!!

Okay thanks, I'm going to pick up the NTK sensor today and put that in and see what happens from there, and then Ill start with the evap leak.
Old 02-09-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Okay thanks, I'm going to pick up the NTK sensor today and put that in and see what happens from there, and then Ill start with the evap leak.

If you still get the P0139 after changing your O2 sensor, you may want to consider taking it Honda to perform an upgrade on the computer. I had the same problem with my 05; was getting a P0139 even AFTER changing the sensor. There is a Honda Technical Service Bulliten on the topic:

www.civicforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77239&d=1252107997
Old 02-09-2015

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
There is a Honda Technical Service Bulliten on the topic:
I found the same info, but the bulletin applies to DX/LX/VP/SE cars..... and the OP has an EX, so I didn't mention it.
Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

I have replaced my downstream o2 sensor with the OEM NTK sensor $60. I drove my car for 120 miles since the replacement of the sensor, at about 40 miles the CEL light came back on. I had the code run after 120 miles, it was the p1457 code. Hopefully the other two codes wont come back now that the o2 sensors fixed. I guess I should start with the CVS vavle.
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

I took the evap canister off today and when I went to unscrew the screws that hold on the canister shut valve, the thread inserts came out with the screws, looks like I should jb weld them in place Once I get the new valve?

After getting the canister shut valve off of the canister I pressurized it and it was leaking out the side, I ordered a new one it will be here tomorow. hope it was the only thing leaking.
Old 02-11-2015

the thread inserts came out with the screws, looks like I should jb weld them in place the thread inserts came out with the screws, looks like I should jb weld them in place
Ya, that's exactly what happens. The screws seize and try to pull the inserts out (or they just spin).
This is the point where I estimate a new canister along with the CVS valve.

You can try epoxy if you wish, will save a few $$ if it works.
May want to apply antiseize to the threads of the screws as you assemble it too.
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Figured I would give an update on the cause of the problem. I fixed the evap leak, it ended up being the Canister shut valve. Since the thread inserts pulled out of my canister I just re-tapped them to 5/16-18, then drilled out the holes for the new canister shut valve. Between that and the new o2 sensor, my CEL light has be off for 150 miles and I passed my echeck. Thanks for every ones help, it saved me a lot of money!!!!!
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Good work! Its a great feeling to learn something, get it fixed right and save money!