Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trans bad fix. Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soulja a is an unknown quantity at this point
Trans bad fix. Help

We'll after getting my civic trans fixed up well not really the dude that did it put the wrong gears in I checked the code it's says incorrect gear ratio. So wat should I do just get another trans or get somebody else to fix wat he messed up. Any advice will help thanks
Old 02-06-2015
Meh...

Hensinger2010 will become famous soon enough
Re: Trans bad fix. Help

would probably be a good idea to find out if there's anything else that could throw that code, what p#? also finding out which gears are in it, ie: part numbers/ manufacture? did you try it out? could be further damage from the wrong gears up the drive train if you did with the wrong gears, if they're the wrong gears I would definitely recommend getting it fixed, depending on what is the actual problem it's unclear whether you will need an entire new trans although I doubt it.
Old 02-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Code P0730?
That's not from someone "putting the wrong gears in it"....

That's usually caused by incorrect shifts as in it didn't engage a gear within the correct time period, or it hung on a shift, missed a shift, stayed in the wrong gear too long. 12 seconds seems to be the amount of time it takes to set the code when it doesn't detect the correct shaft speeds.

I tend to associate this code with failing transmissions that are downright scary to drive; trying to KILL YOU DEAD: Suddenly downshifting to first gear at 50 mph and throw you into the windshield, or going to neutral in the middle of an intersection while traffic is bearing down on you.

Some may call it a 'code of death' because 99% of the time the trans is a goner.
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Code P0730?
That's not from someone "putting the wrong gears in it"....

That's usually caused by incorrect shifts as in it didn't engage a gear within the correct time period, or it hung on a shift, missed a shift, stayed in the wrong gear too long. 12 seconds seems to be the amount of time it takes to set the code when it doesn't detect the correct shaft speeds.

I tend to associate this code with failing transmissions that are downright scary to drive; trying to KILL YOU DEAD: Suddenly downshifting to first gear at 50 mph and throw you into the windshield, or going to neutral in the middle of an intersection while traffic is bearing down on you.

Some may call it a 'code of death' because 99% of the time the trans is a goner.
Well the car runs fine after it passes 20 mph an changes gears but when it warms to temp to won't change out if I stop an try to drive pass 20. So would buying a used one be better or just rebuild it again from a better place
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Why not take it back to the person who worked on it? There probably is a reason why Honda does not sell re-manufacturer transmission at my local dealership. Even overhauled, there are always a lot of worn parts in there that get left. Hopefully the next generation of CVT transmissions will fix the problem. With them coming out, probably why Honda did not try to improve their transmission reliability record. What would it cost for Honda to make one model called lets say "Nails" Just engineer it to last 500K. Easy to work on. Rust proof and carpet and seats tough as sailcloth? No yuppie curves and such. Simple smooth rounded lines.
Old 02-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulja a
Well the car runs fine after it passes 20 mph an changes gears but when it warms to temp to won't change out if I stop an try to drive pass 20. So would buying a used one be better or just rebuild it again from a better place
Seems that the person that agreed to fix the trans either owes you a working transmission or owes you a complete refund.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Why not take it back to the person who worked on it?
YEAH!
I wouldn't hold my breath though.

There probably is a reason why Honda does not sell re-manufacturer transmission at my local dealership.
You mean rebuild in-house, I assume? We do not rebuild automatic transmissions in the shop I work at, we only sell remans obtained through Hondas reman program when possible.

Far too many horror stories from local rebuilds. (Maybe I only get to hear about the bad ones?)
I've even got horror stories about a couple of transmissions from Jasper.

, probably why Honda did not try to improve their transmission reliability record.
FWIW, after about 2005 they did start getting a lot better IMO. Still some issues here and there, but generally more reliable.

What would it cost for Honda to make one model called lets say "Nails" Just engineer it to last 500K. Easy to work on. Rust proof and carpet and seats tough as sailcloth? No yuppie curves and such. Simple smooth rounded lines.
No market for that, not enough people would buy it!
Old 02-15-2015
Registered!!

The story is that the dude that fixed it was working for somebody else an so now he is not in business with the other man he was under the first them we sent it back he said he fixed it so it messed up again he said he would have to charge us. So I guess u can say we got ****ed. But would an used transmission from any of the 01-05 civic fit ?