Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic EX Gas pedal issues in low temps

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncreative54 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic EX Gas pedal issues in low temps

Hello!

My mother bought a new car and I have "inherited" her 2004 Civic EX.

Earlier this month some of the lows in Colorado got into the single digits (F), close to zero. In the mornings, when it was time to drive to work, the gas pedal felt like it was close to fully depressed and I had to really push to get it to do anything at all. It felt like it only moved a few mm before hitting the pedal stop. When this happens, the car has low power and the pedal is hard to push.

It doesn't happen in double digit temperatures. Anybody have any ideas what's going on? After it reaches operating temperature, I seem to get normal play in the pedal. Is this indicative of something wrong?

My mom says it's never done it before, but my wife and I don't have a garage and, until January, it had always been garaged, so I don't think it was ever exposed to single digits til now. I appreciate all the help you can give me!

--Jon
Old 01-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 Civic EX Gas pedal issues in low temps

Possible moisture inside the cable housing freezing?
On real old air cooled VWs we used to dip the cables in antifreeze before installing them so they wouldn't freeze up in the bitter cold.

I'd say next time it happens to open the hood and operate the throttle mechanism by hand directly on the side of the throttle body.

If that moves ok by hand then you are left with the cable and gas pedal as possible causes. Cable would be the likely cause IMO (I haven't witnessed issues with the pedal assembly here)

OTOH If it's still stiff to move by hand, then the problem would be in the throttle body area.

HTH