Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 Civic LX problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrm95 is an unknown quantity at this point
03 Civic LX problems

Hey guys so last night i was driving my civic and it was perfectly fine. Then i stopped somewhere and when i went to start my car to leave, it immediately died. Then i tried to start it again and same thing.. So i started it and kept it running by giving it throttle. it sounded like it was misfiring like crazy and the car smelled really rich so i knew that it was getting no spark. I figured that it was maybe one of the coil packs since i just replaced the plugs. So i drove it a little bit to see if it would go away. i was amazed that no CEL had popped up yet. when i would try and accelerate hard, it would go no where. then i parked it again because i started hearing this vibration noise every time i would give it a little gas and let off (when the rpm's would drop) shortly after i started driving again then the CEL finally came on and the ECU put the car into limp mode (only 3.5k rev limit) then once i finally came to a stop after getting off the freeway the car died again and this time it didnt want to start up and once i finally got it started, at wide open throttle it was only going 5 mph (figured this was an extreme limp mode) and the car sounded similar to a weed-eater lol. while it was idling i pulled each coil pack one at a time and didnt change the idle. I figured at this point maybe the Crank position sensor went bad causing it not to run and now at this point wont even start at all. then i scanned the code with my code scanner and a P1129 (MAP sensor) came up. Has this happened to anyone else before? i'd hate to have to buy a new MAP sensor and Crank sensor and not have that be the issue.

Thanks everyone
Old 12-31-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 03 Civic LX problems

See if the timing belt jumped or came apart. Or the tensioner failed.
Old 12-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
See if the timing belt jumped or came apart. Or the tensioner failed.
Yeah i figured that as well. If the timing is off it would be pulling incorrect vacuum at idle. Probably why the MAP sensor code popped up. Im guessing it came apart because i looked inside the timing cover and it appears to be a lot of shavings (almost looks like it could be pieces of the belt)

Looks like ill be replacing the timing belt here soon...
Old 12-31-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrm95

Looks like ill be replacing the timing belt here soon...
If it skipped enough teeth or came apart, you'll probably be pulling the head off. These are valve benders, ya know.
Old 12-31-2014
Registered!!

If it skipped enough teeth or came apart, you'll probably be pulling the head off. These are valve benders, ya know.
Oh trust me i know lol. lets hope this isnt the case.

Im new to these d-series Honda's so if this were to be the case, whats the best route to go?

Buy a whole new head?
Take the head to a machine shop and have new valves put in?

or possibly buy a EX d17a2 head/ECU/ Vtec Solenoid??

Thanks everyone
Old 12-31-2014
Registered!!

Update: Pulled the timing cover off... belt is not shredded, however, it doesnt seem very tight... Is this normal? im thinking maybe the tensioner failed
Old 01-01-2015

The tensioner is supposed to be under spring tension at all times (floating), it is not fixed solidly.

Did it jump time?
Old 01-20-2015
Registered!!

The tensioner is supposed to be under spring tension at all times (floating), it is not fixed solidly.

Did it jump time?
Yes it did

Bent all the intake valves also. had the head machined and i put everything back together to find out that the previous owner stripped out the bolt hole for the timing belt tensioner(cause of all this mess in the first place). The bolt grabs the threads but will not torque down anywhere close to spec.

So now i have a stripped timing belt tensioner bolt hole.. is there any way to tap this hole out and insert a heli-coil or thread insert without pulling the engine?

This is becoming a nightmare.
Old 01-20-2015

is there any way to tap this hole out and insert a heli-coil or thread insert without pulling the engine?
Read the rest of the other thread you posted in, the answers are there.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...oner-hole.html

See posts #24 and #29