Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic Stalled

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redbug2 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic Stalled

Hello,

My daughters 2004 Civic died at a stop sign today. She called me, I could hear the starter cranking. I told her to pop it into neutral and try again. It started.

Not sure what is wrong... Maybe the PRNDL switch was not connecting right after the car stalled?

I drove it around, no issues. Filled it up with gas.

Not much to go on, it could be nothing..

This car has had about 3-4 intermitant problems, I'm getting tired of it. When it fails why doesnt it fail all the way?

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks,

redbug2

Last edited by redbug2; 11-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2004 Civic Stalled

Originally Posted by redbug2

This car has had about 3-4 intermitant problems, I'm getting tired of it.
then buy a new car,

its a 10-11 year old car....problems like this should be expected, not a suprise
Old 11-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the PRNDL switch was not connecting right after the car stalled?
That can only affect the starter operation, and you said that was still cranking just fine.

Not much to go on
No detailed info from a trained observer in this thread, so no, there isn't much to go on here.

This car has had about 3-4 intermitant problems, I'm getting tired of it.
Like Mikey said, buy a new car if you want perfect. (New cars are not perfect either!)
When it fails why doesnt it fail all the way?
It completely stalled!

Has anyone had a similar issue?
Yep, I'm sure someone has.
Old 12-01-2014
Registered!!

Gee, never thought buying a car would solve my problem...

Sorry I vented.

I drove it around last night, no problems. Went out this morning and it started right up. Daughter going back to school today, fingers crossed.

Thanks for looking at my posting and thinking about it. I know there aren't many facts here. Just fishing for possibilities.
Old 12-01-2014
Registered!!

I guess my wish came true... It died on the road. Having it towed to my house. Let the investigation begin.
Old 12-01-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

is it stalling while your vehicle is in motion? as in while you are driving? or is it when you are coming to a stop? this is an automatic i assume?
Old 12-01-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the fuel gauge inaccurate and it really ran out of gas?
Old 12-02-2014
Registered!!

Automatic Transmission.

Sunday it died at a stop sign. Yesterday I believe she was at a red light.

It had 1/2 tank on Sunday so I decided to fill it. On Monday she had a full tank.

What a pain yesterday. The location my daughter gave me was 5 miles off from where the car actually was. Tow truck could not find it. I had to go after work and locate the car, then call the tow truck back..... Wife had to drive my daughter to school, 5 hour round trip. Car is not at school now which is fine with me! When she does not drive it there will be no failures.

I'm very pleased that it's dead. Will check for spark this afternoon.

I had started a thread on this in August but I thought the problem was fixed, or, I now have another problem....

This car had an auto starter installed, I removed it in August to eliminate the variables. There were some relays under the glove box that had to be wiggled once to get the car to start. I think I'm going to replace every one of those.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks you everyone for helping.

Regards,

redbug2
Old 12-02-2014
Registered!!

This car had an auto starter installed, I removed it in August to eliminate the variables. There were some relays under the glove box that had to be wiggled once to get the car to start. I think I'm going to replace every one of those.
it could still be electrical related, not much else to go on here,

seeing as this is happening while you are stopping, the only other thing i can think of is your torque converter is staying locked up, which is kind of the equal of stopping a manual transmission car without pushing in the clutch,
Old 12-02-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

... What a pain yesterday. The location my daughter gave me was 5 miles off from where the car actually was. Tow truck could not find it. I had to go after work and locate the car, then call the tow truck back..... Wife had to drive my daughter to school, 5 hour round trip. Car is not at school now which is fine with me! When she does not drive it there will be no failures.

I'm very pleased that it's dead. Will check for spark this afternoon.
I feel for you Redbug2. Fun with tow trucks and getting your kids to school... good times!
Since your troubles in August, I posted a link to the repair manual. You can access it from this post: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

It sure sounds like an electrical connection with the remote starter. You might be able to compare the wiring info in the repair manual with your car and remove the wiring that was added for the remote starter. A bad connection could be causing your problem... Look for butt splices and remove that stuff. Reconnect it with a proper connection, heat shrink over it afterward.
Old 12-03-2014
Registered!!

Tested the spark by removing the plug connector, attaching a plug, grounding the plug and turning over the car. No spark.

If I can get to the online manual I'll look for a trouble shooting procecdure for no spark.
Old 12-03-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Sent you a PM about manual. Some sections are larger the 25mb.

Send a email address and I will try to send a section.
Old 12-03-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

I posted links to all the 7th gen manuals in my google docs. They can be viewed or saved as PDFs. No need to dig up pages...
Old 12-03-2014
Registered!!

The manuals were very helpful. Tested the power to the coils, getting about 2 volts, I'm expecting 12. Now I'm under the dash trying to make sense of what the installers of the remote starter had done... Tracing the wires back from the coil packs. May take some time.

I'm going to look at the under dash fuses 19 and 20. Also, where is the under dash fuse relay box No 1 (15a) ???

Thanks everyone for the support and help.

Regards,

redbug2
Old 12-03-2014

Also, where is the under dash fuse relay box No 1 (15a) ???
Dash fusebox fuse #1 is bottom row, drivers side.

19 and 20 are middle row, last 2 on the pass. side.

top row 21-25
Middle row 11-20
Bottom row 1-10
Old 12-08-2014
Registered!!

Checked the fuses, they all looked good and I have voltage all the way to number 1 under the dash.

Need to trace the wire between the coil packs and after number 1 under the dash...

Last edited by redbug2; 12-11-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2014
Registered!!

Traced the black and white wire from the ignition. Ended up behind the glove box. Found a large connector there. It did not seem right, a little loose. Disconnected it and reconnected it and the car started. Then I started moving only the tiny black and white wire around in the connector and the car stalled. It didn't always stall when I wiggled the wire, but sometimes it did.

Today I will chop the wire from the connector and get male and female single wire ends and solder them in. That wire will have its own connection.

I think the copper must be broken under the insulation and at certain positions it loses connection.

Last edited by redbug2; 12-11-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Some good tech work there, thanks for updating.
Old 12-10-2014

Good job, that certainly explains why it was so dang random.
Thanks for the update.
Old 12-11-2014
Registered!!

Old 12-11-2014

Old 01-24-2015
Registered!!

Baseline11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Redbug2, Still running stall free since the splice?