Auto Transmission failures Post your issues with auto transmission failures here. 01-03 have had a high failure rates

Transmission Failure in 02 Ex

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JonesL4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Transmission Failure in 02 Ex

Hi, I am researching as much as I can to hopefully save myself some $$. My 2002 EX with 145,000 miles all of a sudden stopped in the road almost as if I shifted the gear into neutral, but this is an automatic. The engine just revs and eventually it will not move forward at all. I had it towed, and had to pick it up and drove it 6 miles back to my house. At first it was driving somewhat okay, could feel major slipping, but then it got to the point where I could not go any faster than 20mph or it would just stop. I turned the car off, started it again and it drove, but only if i barely, barely accelerated. It will go into Reverse, I tried driving in D2 and 3, but no difference. I borrowed a diagnostic tester and got the code DTCFR2RF P0730.

Transmission fluid isn't red, but it isn't burnt. It is a light pinkish brown color. I know the control arm bushings need replacing, I doubt that has anything to do with this problem though.

I'm a female and this is my first try at delving into the world of transmissions, but it sounds like it could be a problem with a soleniod. On the other hand, the engine sounds awful.. humming noise which i'm reading torque converter.

Do you have any advice on what I should do first? Of course this happens right before Christmas and it's just me and my 5 month old. Am I just going to be out a car now? Why does everyone say, "Honda's run forever" if mine has just died under 150K? I've gotten the oil changed in a timely manner and I've had the timing belt replaced, camshaft sensor and another belt just in the past year or so. Is there hope? Is it possible for someone inexperienced to replace a soleniod?

I really appreciate any guidance you can offer me. Thanks so much! Hope to hear from someone soon.

Laura

Last edited by JonesL4; 11-18-2014 at 12:50 PM. Reason: additional details
Old 11-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission Failure in 02 Ex

P0730
It needs a transmission.

Overhaul by an experienced pro, or replacement with a remanufactured unit. Your choice.

My preference is a factory reman from a Honda dealer (with a warranty good at any dealer nationwide).
Old 11-18-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah needs a transmission for sure. Doing that job in a garage by yourself is easier said than done. Its a huge job. Like ezone said your best bet is to bite the bullet and go to the dealer for this one.
Old 11-19-2014
Registered!!

JonesL4 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you both say new transmission. No chance it could be something a little more minor or cheaper? Isn't this the point where people say, "the car isn't worth as much as i would have to put into it."
This is awful. Thanks for responding though! Even if its not what I was hoping to hear.
Old 11-20-2014
Zed
Registered!!

Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

If ezone tells you it wants a transmission, trust me it does. He's been working with these cars for years...
Old 11-27-2014
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You can try cleaning the linear and shift solenoid screen. Also, you can change the transmission fluid, check the ground wires and do an ECU relearn. If that fails, you need to do a rebuild make sure to get a new torque converter.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=53129

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 11-27-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2014
Registered!!

Jonovanj is an unknown quantity at this point

Same thing happened to my 02 Civic EX and I had to get the transmission replaced. When I spoke to Honda and did a little more research I found it was a known issue with this year.
Old 12-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

2nd gear pack is toast, the filter is plugged.
When it sits and cools it lets enough through that it'll run for a bit. Ask how I know this? I rebuilt mine in my garage for the exact symptoms.
It can be done diy for under 500 bucks, but yes. It is not for the faint of heart and you will need a driver and it isn't something for a mom of an infant or anyone who isn't great with a wrench and has a large box of tools. In short if you are anything short of a gearhead don't attempt. So long story short, it isn't worth it. Yes a Honda does run forever. Just a couple models don't drive forever
Old 12-08-2021
Registered!!

02civicnew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
2nd gear pack is toast, the filter is plugged.
When it sits and cools it lets enough through that it'll run for a bit. Ask how I know this? I rebuilt mine in my garage for the exact symptoms.
It can be done diy for under 500 bucks, but yes. It is not for the faint of heart and you will need a driver and it isn't something for a mom of an infant or anyone who isn't great with a wrench and has a large box of tools. In short if you are anything short of a gearhead don't attempt. So long story short, it isn't worth it. Yes a Honda does run forever. Just a couple models don't drive forever
I have an 02 civic EX, four door-First Civic, ever. Transmission has similar symptoms as described above; it started to slip and after while, it would not move, either forward nor backwards. Waited about an hour and I was able to drive it to safety. Now that it's cold, it still slips a bit when moving forward but runs fine. Would this be signs of a bad transmission or is it the "2nd gear pack is toast, the filter is plugged"?

Old 12-08-2021
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 02civicnew
I have an 02 civic EX, four door-First Civic, ever. Transmission has similar symptoms as described above; it started to slip and after while, it would not move, either forward nor backwards. Waited about an hour and I was able to drive it to safety. Now that it's cold, it still slips a bit when moving forward but runs fine. Would this be signs of a bad transmission or is it the "2nd gear pack is toast, the filter is plugged"?
Do you have P0730? That is the "death code" for the transmissions.
Old 12-08-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Do you have P0730? That is the "death code" for the transmissions.
Checked codes and yes, p0730 is one found, along with p0740. The all refer to solenoids being plugged up. I have very little experience with auto trans so I am confused as once the car cools down, it runs. Can it still mean the trans is DEAD?
Thanks
Old 12-09-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Can it still mean the trans is DEAD?
He means it is in its last toes.
The following users liked this post:
02civicnew (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Trans is toast
Sux been there with an Odyssey trans
Old 12-09-2021
Registered!!

Thanks for your valuable info. I have only had the car for about two months, got it cheap and now know why, but still like it as its previous owner replaced the head gasket recently, and I am thinking about replacing the trans with a remanufactured one, or switch it with a 5 sp manual. Would love to hear your thought on this.
Thanks, again
Old 12-09-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

there are less reports of failed trans on the 04-05 cars.01-02 have the most, some 03
CraigW (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
there are less reports of failed trans on the 04-05 cars.01-02 have the most, some 03
Okay. I am thinking if I get another transmission, it will likely break down on me again. Right? I am surprised that Honda did not recall all these cars based on a bad transmissions and repaired them for free. I do know that once Honda sold to Renault company, transmissions became trash, but I thought it was only on cars newer than 01...
Any recommendations on how to fix my car? Are there good 02 Civic transmissions out there?
Thank you
Old 12-09-2021
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Later year transmissions will work if I'm not mistaken. If you find one from '04-'05, you should be fine.
02civicnew (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021
Registered!!

That's great. How do I verify this; 04-05 transmission fit on 02 Civic?
Thanks
Old 12-09-2021
Click Here

That's great. How do I verify this; 04-05 transmission fit on 02 Civic?
Thanks
Someone here can confirm. I can say with 99.9% certainty that it will.
02civicnew (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021
Registered!!

Thanks so much!
Old 12-10-2021
Registered!!

NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

The 2004-2005 transmissions have a larger internal ATF filter which helps to better filter the clutch debris which causes the transmission failures.
02civicnew (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021
Registered!!

Thanks. This being my first Civic, I know very little about their transmissions issues. I did see some videos where they clean the solenoid filters and get them to run again but I thinking that's not a permanent solutions. Am I right?
Old 12-13-2021
Registered!!

Solenoid filters can be accessed without tearing the trans apart but the main internal ATF filter is inside the trans and is the main issue, so correct not a permanent solution.
02civicnew (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021
Registered!!

Thank you. I believe I will try to get a remanufactured replacement transmission, if not found, I will sell the car and get another with a manual transmission.
I appreciate your feedback.
AM