Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic SE 2004 Gear Change Cables trouble :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the_swing84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic SE 2004 Gear Change Cables trouble :(

Hi people

My Civic is ten years old with a mere 31,000 mileage. I don't venture far! I found last week that i simply couldn't get the gear stick into reverse. You can really force it in, but that really doesn't feel great. I booked it into our local Honda garage and they say the Gear change cables need replacing at a cost of £470. But the part is on backorder for a month or so.
I asked for the part number, they wouldn't share it. I've found other great websites aside from this one where it seems i could probably work out the part number anyway! However, from your vast experience here, is that price reasonable? If i managed to find a third party part, Honda say they'll happily fit it, but whats a reasonable price?

I really have no clue!
Old 10-28-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Honda Civic SE 2004 Gear Change Cables trouble :(

Go to this site http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...ear=2004&dl=#1
Click on your model Civic
Click chassis--->shift lever

You'll see a diagram with the change cables and their part numbers below. Use those to order from the site of your choice.
Old 10-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Poopies, the OP is in England.

OP: Our cars may not be the same, so our parts catalogs for North America may not list the correct parts for your particular car.......but checking out the parts catalogs may help you to pick out the parts you need when you go to purchase them from your local dealer.

Also, second opinions can be valuable. Got a trusted local Independent shop?
Old 10-28-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, who knew a first-timer would ACTUALLY put his location down? When you assume...