Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front end noise, and steering wobble.

Old 10-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicrally? is an unknown quantity at this point
Front end noise, and steering wobble.

OK it's a 2003 ex 5 speed with 182k. I have done strut tower bars rear LCAs suffrage brace and sway bars. Recently I have replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends. But I'm still having the same problem. When I hit a bump there is a loud clunk noise from the front end and if at decent speeds say 30mph+ if I hit a bump the steering jerks around and the noise is even worse. Also when cornering hard it is rather scary! =0 It's no doubt the ball joints and tie rod ends were bad but what else could it be? The bushings look good so I was thinking wheel bearing? CV joints? Any help would be awesome! Thank you!
Old 10-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Front end noise, and steering wobble.

could be a problem with the steering rack itself,

- LCA bushings
- Sway bay end links
- C/V joint (unlikely)

if the noise is more prominent at lower speeds i would say sway bar end links, get under there and try to move the sway bar around with your hands, they are easy to check

not likely a wheel bearing unless its extremely bad

a bad wheel bearing will generally make a loud "humming" or "buzzing" noise that is consistent with the speed of the vehicle, and the noise would be continuous while the vehicle is in motion, not just over bumps
Old 10-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicrally? is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Front end noise, and steering wobble.

OK got it up on stands and checked everything out again. I'm sad to say it's probably my LCA bushings :'( the passenger side is pretty good but driver side is awful. I've done bushings before and they are not the most enjoyable job. Oh well poly bushings here I come.