Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rough idle (different scenario)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monkey01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough idle (different scenario)

Hi my scenario seems to be a bit different to some others on here. I have a 2002 CTR EP3 which i have recently done the head gasket, chain, waterpump and valvelapping. Now when i went to start the car it was dead so i jumped it and the keys wiped so after honda recoded them it started this 1000-2000 rev jump the car was dead for about 3 weeks. I have smoke tested the system for any leaks none found. I know the iac valves are bad on them but it hasnt had a issue before and would prefer not to take it off if possible as the screws are beyond rusty. Will it learn itself? Iv already atrempted the 3000 rev reset but can not be sure this age needs that done or not? Any help would be great Thanks in advance
Old 10-16-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rough idle (different scenario)

If you're looking for the idle relearn procedure, it's here.

More specifically,
Originally Posted by gearbox
you must complete the idle learn procedure otherwise the car will not idle properly. to do this, start the car and warm it to operating temp. you can drive around to do this and should not have too many problems except unsteady idle. park the car and turn it off. open the hood, locate fuse box, and remove the FI ECU fuse.

put the fuse back in, close hood, and start the car. let it idle for 10 minutes in park or neutral without using any lights/accessories or pressing the gas. after 10 mins, shut the car off. start it again and go for a drive like you normally would. it will take up to a full tank of gas for the ecu to relearn fuel maps and readiness codes. the idle will be set, but it may take a while until the ecu adjusts and you start getting good mileage again. do not perform these mods if you are having the car smog-checked immediately afterwards. it is a guaranteed fail. you need to wait at least 100 miles or more.