Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car dies when Clutch is engaged & Car is idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logikuhl is an unknown quantity at this point
Car dies when Clutch is engaged & Car is idle

2004 Honda Civic Em2, When i am coming to a stop light i slow down push in clutch and brake. When i come to a complete stop, my RPMs are really really low, and when i start giving gas and releasing clutch, the car either shuts off or gets close to shutting off but i add more gas so it doesn't. what do i do. Or what could be causing this.

Someone ran the codes on my car and one code popped up saying High voltage IAT.

(Check engine light is not on)

Mods i have : Cold Air intake
No resonator, N1 muffler
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car dies when Clutch is engaged & Car is idle

does the car seem to wanna still go forward while your braking?.....like the engine is fighting against the brakes?

it sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging
Old 09-28-2014
Acura EL 1.6 - Ontario, Canada

AcuraEl1.6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Car dies when Clutch is engaged & Car is idle

Greetings from Canada

Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
does the car seem to wanna still go forward while your braking?.....like the engine is fighting against the brakes?

it sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging
No, everything is perfectly fine when shifting & driving . Only when I'm stopped is when the RPMS are really low . I feel like it has to do with a sensor . Because the car isn't struggling to turn on & when the car turns off it doesn't struggle or shut off violently it just shuts off like a computer.
Old 09-28-2014
Registered!!

Could this be because the throttle body is dirty?
Old 10-11-2014
Registered!!

Sheirstles is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds to me like your throw-out bearing is shot, this would explain the stalling and the noise
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

Clarinda Harvey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. I am posting this to anyone that has this problem. I have a 2005 Honda Civic si hatchback 5 speed. It died when you pushed in the clutch sometimes. And my check engine light (CEL) was on showing miss fire codes po304, po302, po300. Codes for all the cylinders. Every Honda mechanic I talked to said I needed a new fuel pump. So I put one in and added the Seafosm cleaner they said to clean the injectors. That made the car die every time now that I pushed in the clutch. This is how the problem really got fixed. I found a country mechanic that realized my catalytic converter was stopped up, so I fixed that. Then I took off the air cleaner pipe leading to the throttle body and took carburetor cleaner and a rag and scrubbed all the black build up from around the throttle flap and I filled the idle air control valve hole with carb cleaner. Then I tightened up the air cleaner hose to the throttle. The IACV is on the bottom of the throttle body in this model. The thing runs like a scalded dog now. I also put back in my old fuel pump. Seemed like the throttle position sensor liked it better, and I put in a new MAP sensor which gave it more power but was not the cause of the dieing. It needs a new IACV which you can buy at Amazon.com for about $34. Honda wanted $340 for the same thing. So clean your throttle by hand and clean your IACV. the misfire codes where only being initiated at idle. When your check engine light is blinking, the car is misfiring, and this only happened at idle. Also when the AC was on, the throttle and IACV cleaning stopped the engine from laboring so bad, and kept the AC cool. Hope my journey helps someone else. Props to Jerry the mechanic in Forest City Arkansas for figuring out the fix when Honda could not.
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

Clarinda Harvey is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I forgot to add, this model has no EGR Valve, no Mass air Dow sensor, and no accessible fuel filter. I changed the plugs and put in new coil packs with new air filter as well. 2005 Honda Civic si 5 speed . 2 liter