Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'01 civic ex code 1457

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tj2142 is an unknown quantity at this point
'01 civic ex code 1457

...so I get code 1457 one day, checked all lines & connections, checked all solenoids for operation, new gas cap, still get code 1457....when I had removed the evap can, I noticed it was wet w/ gas inside(looking in the one hose connection)...is that my problem?....also, when I had removed the 2 way valve to check it, got vacuum release from the 2 way to the fuel tank pressure regulator....anybody got ideas?...............thanks.........tj
Old 09-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '01 civic ex code 1457

P1457 means there is leakage detected in the canister system.

Are you in the rust belt?

Here lately I've just been pulling the canister off the car and leak checking it manually if I think it's a problem.

I plug off the hoses and open ports, then pressurize it with 1 PSI MAX air pressure, then spray it down with soapy water and look for bubbles.

This is what I've been seeing a lot of lately:
Name:  ppMXS55.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  800.8 KB

Name:  MfQguaL.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  769.0 KB
Old 09-22-2014
Registered!!

...hey, thanks....that's funny...kinda what my shut valve looks like(I am a rust belter, although I believe my civic is a southern vehicle, very clean underneath...)...I had removed the can and valves this past weekend to chk things out, tested valves w/ 12v's, etc.... have seen stuff about saturated cans causing this code, don't know if can should be wet(not dripping) w/ gas...interesting note though, code wouldn't show for about a week(maybe 200miles)...since this past weekend cel came on in a day(less than 50 miles)...do you think replacing shut valve might do it?........thanks in advance....tj
Old 09-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tj2142
...hey, thanks....that's funny...kinda what my shut valve looks like(I am a rust belter, although I believe my civic is a southern vehicle, very clean underneath...)...I had removed the can and valves this past weekend to chk things out, tested valves w/ 12v's, etc....
Yeah, when the valves all pass the click test but the system keeps failing the leak tests, that's about the time I pressure test it manually. I've got a little box with all the right size hoses and plugs and a pressure regulator for the shop air hose to make it a pretty quick check.

have seen stuff about saturated cans causing this code, don't know if can should be wet(not dripping) w/ gas..
A few drips from the lines are normal, but saturated is not. Saturated or flooding of the canister would be from a serious malfunction, or (more commonly) someone keeps adding more gas long after the pump nozzle clicked off, to get the next two dollars in it.

.interesting note though, code wouldn't show for about a week(maybe 200miles)...since this past weekend cel came on in a day(less than 50 miles)..
You'd have to understand how and when the system runs its self tests, then compare to your driving situations. It's entirely possible you can drive a long time without the system running its self test enough times to trip the light.

.do you think replacing shut valve might do it?........thanks in advance....tj
I just told you one of the things I have been seeing often in my area of the rust belt.

It's up to you to test and verify whether or not it is actually leaking like my example was in the pictures.

BTW, once the CVS valve looks all rusty like mine did, those screws may not come out of the canister. I usually have to replace the canister and the screws along with the CVS valve.

HTH
Old 09-23-2014
Registered!!

...thanks...looks like I'll save the aggravation for something else and just replace the can & the shut valve...thanks again for your help......tj
Old 09-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i had 1457 a few months ago,

i removed the valve from the canister, which was quite the task because the screws were rusted to crap, i removed the entire canister to do this, much easier working on it on a bench then under the car,

after i removed the valve i plugged one end of the valve with my finger and blew into the other end, i could hear air coming out the sides of it.....

so i replaced the valve and its been good ever since,
Old 09-23-2014
Registered!!

...thanks mikey...got the valve & can on order...only want to do this once....hopefully that will solve the problem...gotta get thru that damn e chk..............
Old 09-26-2014
Registered!!

so, replaced the can and shut valve today...drove about 40 miles after...went to e-chk...passed....thanks to all who offered good info, only cost me $130 ...problem solved............................................ ...................tj