Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic Overheating Issues

Old 09-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imperialized is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 02 Civic Overheating Issues

Vehicle is a 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7L vTech (Running the D17A not D17A2 engine as I replaced it)

Alright I need some insight here from all my car loving friends. My 02 Civic has been having off/on overheating issues. First, I will describe what it does and then what I have done to try and fix it. Primarily when at idle, the temp needle will draw up to about 3/4 hot (from the MAX on gauge) then when I would drive it went back down. However, that is not always the case. Sometimes it will stay hot. It is very sporadic and sometimes I can drive hours without it overheating.

What have I done?
-Replaced thermostat (twice, to ensure it wasnt faulty)
- used paperclip to jump relay (fans work, indeed both do)
- ran my own fan switch the ensure that they WILL ALWAYS be on when I flick the switch
- Tested water pump by starting car cold w/out radiator cap and watched it start flowing (said pump is about 2 years old)
--The plan today is to flush the radiator and replace the radiator cap. Any other suggestions??

Help!!!
Old 09-12-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 02 Civic Overheating Issues

Is the overflow filling up?
Old 09-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the "Bad news, it's a head gasket" forum!
I will describe what it does and then what I have done to try and fix it.
You never said how low the fluid in the radiator was then it got hot.

-Replaced thermostat (twice, to ensure it wasnt faulty)
Were any of those factory parts?

replace the radiator cap
Make sure this works
Old 09-13-2014
Registered!!

Ok, so I flushed the radiator (not the heater core other than letting the car run with a radiator cleaner and water).

The overflow has been full, but then it goes into the radiator.

After flushing the system and letting the car idle for ~20-30 mins, it got about half-way hot (as far as the temp gauge goes, slightly above operating temp) but after turning my fans on (with my switch) it went back down. I purchased the temperature sensor but was waiting to put it in until I knew that the flush didnt fix the problem. It seems to be running ok, considering that a slight up in temp after a prolonged idle is normal.

-- Both thermostat were aftermarket.
-- The fluid level in the overflow was to the top (never boiled over, never left any liquid on the ground) but once the it got hot it flowed directly into the radiator (I believe)

Extra notes:
- Oil change 2 days ago (not milky when drained, looked like the traditional used oil)
- Also replaced the radiator cap

Last edited by imperialized; 09-13-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
KillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura about

Do a block test
Old 09-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KillerCam251
Do a block test
Half of the leaking head gaskets will PASS that test, that's why I can't use it.
Old 09-13-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by KillerCam251
Do a block test
Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what that is. Pressure testing?
Old 09-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
KillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura about

Its a blue chemical in a test tube you stick in your radiator, and start your car up and idle it till operating temp. After that you suck air from the cooling system past the tube with the chemical in it and if it turns yellow that means there is hydrocarbons in the system which indicates a blown head gasket. You can also pressure test the system and set it at operating pressure and leave it for like an hour it if drops at all that can also indicate a blown hg as a cooling system is sealed. Also try a compression test the limit per cylinder is over 135 psi. Also check your plugs and see what colors they are.
Old 09-13-2014
Registered!!

bluciv is an unknown quantity at this point

OP I'd drive it now and watch it. Have you been experiencing any loss of coolant? Just make sure you bleed all the air out of it.